• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inverness area (1 Viewer)

richarddavis30

We are coming up to Inverness over the Easter holidays for 4/5 days. We are primarily coming up to visit the WDC centre so my other half can go and find some dolphins(hopefully) As she has adopted one since she was a little girl..

I would like to take in a couple of days birding too. Never having been to Scotland before...Can anyone recommend some places to visit around the inverness area?

Many Thanks in anticipation.

Richard

We are coming up to Inverness over the Easter holidays for 4/5 days. We are primarily coming up to visit the WDC centre so my other half can go and find some dolphins(hopefully) As she has adopted one since she was a little girl..

I would like to take in a couple of days birding too. Never having been to Scotland before...Can anyone recommend some places to visit around the inverness area?

Many Thanks in anticipation.

Richard

Just north of Inverness is the Black Isle. Chanonry Point at Fortrose has birds and dolphins. On the other side of the peninsula is Udale Bay RSPB - get there an hour or so before high tide.

The other dolphin centre is at Spey Bay along the southern edge of the Moray Firth (on the eastern side of the river) - also good for waders wildfowl and seabirds.

Findhorn Valley (aka Strathdearn) can be accessed from the A9 S of I'ness at Tomatin and is very good for raptors (11 species in a day possible). Park at end of road. Also Ring Ouzels there. As you leave the valley, turn left on the road to Farr (the only road off) and turn left at the end of this road following signs to Loch Ruthven RSPB - breeding Slavonian Grebes.

Also S of I'ness are all the Speyside sites including the well-signed Loch Garten for Ospreys etc.

HTH

Gordon

Gordon

Many thanks for the info.. I will have a look at plotting them into google maps to sort out which to do each day.

Thanks Again

Richard

Gordon

Many thanks for the info.. I will have a look at plotting them into google maps to sort out which to do each day.

Thanks Again

Richard

Or there's a very good site guide (Best Birdwatching Sites: Scottish Highlands, brand new edition out now) that I can recommend, but I am slightly biased as I wrote it;);););)

Have a good trip

Gordon

Gordon.

I have ordered one from one of the links you put on one of the other threads. ;)Awaiting its arrival. Hopefully will be here shortly before we head up your way.

Thanks again.

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back