• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

AV setting (1 Viewer)

Steve

Staff member
United Kingdom
I have a canon 40d which I hardly use, but I would like to take some pictures of the garden and the animals in it. Im told AV is the best setting but what should all the bits in the view finder say??? at the moment it says :

AWB 13 4.0 [217] then iso then AUTO

What are the best settings please? and how do I set them :t:

thanks

Steve

Steve,
The camera manual should help and if you've not got one download a pdf for free.
There's no one size fits all solution. My 40D is set mostly to AV, ISO 640 and depending on lens an F stop of wide open to f8, AI Focus, bracketing +1/3 to -1/3. White balance left to default. I'm sure others will follow this with entirely different suggestions!!

Good luck
Russ

Steve I agree with Russ. One thing that you can do that helps with all cameras is practice practice practice. I shoot in AV all the time and I am in the habit of taking a photo and then looking at it and then taking another one if I can. It takes time to learn what your camera can and cannot do. I just suggest Practice Practice Practice. Try going out and shooting just basic stuff. Somebody once told me that if you shoot 10k plus photos you start learning I shot 500 to a thousand photos an outing and I am still learning. It just takes time.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back