• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

wildlife in graphite (1 Viewer)

clive2604

Hi,

I'm a wildlife artist from the south coast of england specializing in graphite drawings of birds and mammals.After concentrating on animal art for the last 10 years or so ive got bored with big cats and other exotica and returned to my roots drawing british birds and animals.I'm a bit rusty with my birding skills but luckily ive got some wonderful birding spots nearby and i'm really relishing re-aquainting myself with the art.
My particular favourites are waterbirds and i love trying to portray my local birds in their natural enviroment.
For the moment ive attached one image and hope to post more soon once ive re-sized them.If anyone would like to view more work,most of my new stuff is on my blog.

Attachments

• CLM-Winter-Barn-Owl.jpg
    CLM-Winter-Barn-Owl.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 411
Wow - that's one to gasp at! Super work Clive and a huge welcome to the best bit of Birdforum. Loking forward to seeing more.

Excellent work Clive and it's good to see you in the best bit! Your gallery website has some very impressive stuff too and I'm certainly looking forward to seeing more of the Brit birds.

Mike

the wonders of a good graphite work never fails to satisfy my eyes....the range of values and textures is just wonderful here. hope to see more soon.

hi mike and thanks for your comments,thoroughly enjoying the artwork here,all very inspiring and helping to re-ignite my passion for birding

more images

i am a complete technophobe so i hope these images are ok.i managed to download a free image resizer so here goes.these are all completed using graphite and can take upto 8 weeks to complete some of the more detailed images.this selection more accurately reflects my love of waterbirds and i am hoping to be able to do more of them as they make drawing a joy and free's me from the drudgery of endless big cats!.

Attachments

• Greylag trio.JPG
    Greylag trio.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 270
  • On thin ice-moorhen.jpg
    On thin ice-moorhen.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 295
  • oystercatchers at roshven bay,western scotland.jpg
    oystercatchers at roshven bay,western scotland.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 278
Welcome to the forum, and what an entrance!

The Moorhen is breathtaking, an immense tour de force with regard to the detail involved, without detracting from a superb composition. The treatment of the snow is masterful.
A special word for the Oystercatchers, has it all, really well drawn and full of acute observation....

The Moorhen is breathtaking, an immense tour de force with regard to the detail involved, without detracting from a superb composition. The treatment of the snow is masterful.
A special word for the Oystercatchers, has it all, really well drawn and full of acute observation....

Can't argue with that! Love the oiks, it's just as we see 'em and you are clearly, a master draughtsman.

Mike

thanks jo,buzzard12 and mike. i really appreciate your comments especially bearing in mind the knowledge of your subject that you all bring.I'm really a novice birdwatching wise as i'm only just re-discovering a childhood passion for birds but i love drawing them and hope to learn a lot here.

Last edited:
These are all superb, but my favourite piece of work is the descriptive mark-making on the preening goose's neck; that turn and change of planes is brilliantly done and so perfectly natural. Ace!

many thanks tim,the preening goose was the one that gave me the most trouble artistically speaking and the particular bit you mention seemed to take forever to get looking right to my eye and so i'm chuffed someone with your experience thinks i got it right...phew!

I went cold looking at it - so superbly done is the whole.

Welcome to the forum - I'll start off by being honest, the first pic made me think, it's very nice and technically very good, but it's just another barn owl (perhaps the most depicted bird), the second batch made me shut my mouth in admiration! Great stuff, these are more than just laborious work for highly detailed results that bear no resemblznce to the living thing, these are living, and what's good is that each of these pictures seems to send me back to a moment I've seen.
Hope all that makes sense, still not finished my coffee this morning so brain a little slow to catch up.
Looking forward to seeing more.

Very impressive Clive,

I'm a bit with Nick in my reaction to the first barn owl drawing. I always find that graphite work tends to stay too much in just the midtones for my taste. But as I look at your other work, and then back again at the barn owl, I see that's not the case. The drawings have a real vibrancy to them. So I guess it pays not to go on first impressions but really take a good look around!!

By the way I tried your links to your blog and website. I got to the blog alright, and much enjoyed it, but I got an error with the website. Is it possible that it's got a typo in it? Sure doesn't look that way. But I keep getting an error.

Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back