• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski EL 8x32 Pure fun! (1 Viewer)

black crow

This is hands down the most fun binocular I've owned to date. There is nothing difficult about looking through this guy. You just put it up to your eyes and you're right where you want to be. It's very difficult to find my eyes in the wrong place or induce even the slightest partial blackout. The ease of the view is remarkable. Then there is the edge to edge razor sharp view that along with 423 ft fov makes for an almost panoramic like feel to whatever you are looking at. It's so bright that you just feel good because it brightens up whatever you are looking at.

I love following swallows in flight with this binocular. It's almost impossible to lose them and the huge screen like view takes in so much of the surrounding so clearly and sharp it's truly not like any other binocular I've owned. It's just easy and beautiful. Easy to hold very steady and light enough on a harness that you can almost forget it's there. I do notice slight rolling ball when panning but it's not any serious issue for me like it can be for a few others. Other than that I really don't have much bad to say. It's expensive, that's kind of a drag I guess but for me it was well worth the price although I did get an unusual discount that I guess wasn't supposed to happen. Just a bit of luck was with me that day.

I highly recommend this binocular. They are not perfect but IMO their imperfections dim in relation to what this binocular is good at. I use binoculars every single day and this goes out with me at least half of each day and I'm always excited to strap it on. You should see a field of California Poppy's on a sunny day in these. You can't be sad! :t: I don't see myself ever unloading this one unless there are some dramatic innovations in future optics. At my age I'm guessing this one is for life.

Last edited:
I think if I was into 42mm the 8.5x size would be ideal. I've been a 30, 32mm, man for almost every binocular I've bought. I've spent too much of my time with binoculars hiking. When I go out it's usually 3 to 7 miles of up and down mountain hiking. Even the 32mm ELs feel a tad large.

Of course I AGREE with your enthusiasm!

I've used mine a pile over the last month. I've been birding a lot this past month too. The vast majority of the time has been spent with the SV 8X32 and the SLC 8X42. Back and forth.

I'm really glad you are enjoying it!

I've used them every day since I got them. Usually they go birding with me and the Ultravid goes hiking with me. Today I got to take out my Ex girlfriends daughter and she got to look though the EL, UVHD and the EIIs. She thought they were all awesome but felt the EIIs were the most pleasing. Hard to argue with 27 year old 20/20 vision.:hippy:

Some of us argue with 20/20 vision here all the time! The average for people about this lady's age is probably 20/15. (Can anyone please comment on that as a fact?) As I gather 20/20 is not the average for prime optical health but was an acceptable limit for whatever this measurement was first devised for. Some members on here at 20/20 or worse seem to not fully understand or accept that others here with better acuity can, indeed have to, assess a binocular differently!

Last edited:
My point is: Not realizing this has led so far to a massive volume of argument, sometimes at cross-purposes when neither side realizes it.

Some of us argue with 20/20 vision here all the time! The average for people about this lady's age is probably 20/15. (Can anyone please comment on that as a fact?) As I gather 20/20 is not the average for prime optical health but was an acceptable limit for whatever this measurement was first devised for. Some members on here at 20/20 or worse seem to not fully understand or accept that others here with better acuity can, indeed have to, assess a binocular differently!

When I was her age my eyes were 20/17. I can't know what her vision is but I do know she was picking out small birds in foliage a lot more often and faster than I was. I consider her vision adequate.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back