• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New pond/bird bath (1 Viewer)

Wildwoman

I wimped out and had a professional put my pond in....my excuse is very heavy clay soil/ignorance/laziness..pick one.

Anyway, the birds seem to like it. Too late in the season to put plants in, but I was wondering if toads might use it to hibernate or breed in. I've got at least 2 and maybe more American Toads hanging out and I just love them, even got little houses for them (which they use!).

Pond is deceptive....I think it's at least 3 feet deep and has a pump in there. Being in Michigan, I didn't want it to freeze.

So, question is: What, besides the birds, can I expect to attract to my new pond?

Attachments

• Closeup birdpool.jpg
    Closeup birdpool.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 185
I didn't want to let your post hang out there without a reply, Wildwoman....particularly since I am big into ponds (albeit somewhat larger scale). I learned from the experts that ponds are amazing ecosystems to themselves. There will be unexpected visitors (sometimes unwanted, depending on what you call uninvited) and the expected that you proactively introduce. Critters like fish, snails, crayfish, frogs, dragonflys, raccoons, deer, all immediately come to mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back