• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greatest Life Risk? (1 Viewer)

steveo

King Midas in reverse
Of all of the birds of the world what is the one that would be the biggest threat to the birder. There could be a number of reasons for the risk some examples could be dangerous cliffs, spiders, remoteness, a war in the area, snakes, cold, heat et cetera.... Thanks for your opinions this is just something that came to mind.

Last edited:
Well, apparently there is only one confirmed case of a Cassowary actually killing a human. So the biggest threat comes from your own species.

Afghan snowfinch and several endemics from Somalia, Colombia and Peru are practically unreachable. Apparently some birders trying to bird in off-limit areas of Peru were actually killed.

And I know a birder who went to twitch Nubian Nightjar in Israel, and only later learned that it roosts on a minefield (he walked all the way across it without knowing).:t:

Maybe the White-browed Nuthatch, not many people could manage looking for a bird in the middle of a forest in a country ruled by a military junta.

What about that poor fellow who got killed & partially eaten by a tigress (in India was it?) some years ago. IIRC he was chasing after an owl of some kind when he got between the tigress & her cubs.

What about that poor fellow who got killed & partially eaten by a tigress (in India was it?) some years ago. IIRC he was chasing after an owl of some kind when he got between the tigress & her cubs.

This was David Hunt. However, as regretable as it is, he put himself into that position - he left a trail (and group) and walked into bushland in the heart of a tiger reserve. Not a case of a bird with inherent risk, but taking undue risk to see something.

Maybe the White-browed Nuthatch, not many people could manage looking for a bird in the middle of a forest in a country ruled by a military junta.

Military junta does not mean a country is dangerous - Burma is basically safe to visit. You can even take a guided tours to see White-browed Nuthatch ...click here.

Afghan snowfinch and several endemics from Somalia, Colombia and Peru are practically unreachable. Apparently some birders trying to bird in off-limit areas of Peru were actually killed.

Fortunately, the vast majority of Peru is now as safe as everywhere else in the Neotropics. The birders that got killed were years ago when Sendero Luminoso was still in control of a fairly large sections of Peru. With the situation today, I cannot think of any Peruvian endemic that would require you to put youself at serious risk to see it. There are still regions in Colombia that are off-limits to any sane (!) birder, but these regions are far smaller than they were years ago (when there actually were birders that ended up kidnapped by FARC), and today the vast majority of the numerous Colombian endemics are as safe to see as seeing the endemics of the various other South American countries.

While parts of DR Congo (supposedly) are fairly safe now, I'd still stay away from the eastern parts of that country, even if it has stunning endemics like the Yellow-crested Helmetshrike, Congo Bay Owl and Congo Peafowl.

David Hunt in Corbett NP, very bad luck

David hunts foolish actions have been repeated by other folk according to tiger trackers in India we have spoken to. A group of people were in an open back landrover driving along....when tiger cubs were spotted at side of track..[i know tigers ain't 'spotted']! Anyway...one over enthusiastic 'gibbon' of a photographer leapt out of vehicle and started 'snapping away' at the cubs despite guides yelling at said jerk to get back in immediately. Yeah...you know wot comes next....adult female tigress shows up and is not impressed by photographers skills....so decides to show him some real skill! As the tw*t leaps back into vehicle the tigress pounces about ten foot in the air and nearly takes his leg off....just missed....[shame]!

Bird-wise......a certain tragopan always comes to my mind...[inevitably].....great birds tragopans...but to die for? No......

Bird-wise......a certain tragopan always comes to my mind...[inevitably].....great birds tragopans...but to die for? No......

Once, in the height of the pre-monsoon hyper-humid season, I had the stupid idea to try to get to the Palas valley in Pakistan's North West Frontier Province, hope was for Western Tragopan. Got amoebic dysentry before I got there! Then detoured to Afghan borderlands, saw nothing as far as I remember. Pakistan made such an impression that I still have never been back!

Just yesterday I read of someone planning a camping trip in the Palas valley - trip linked with a world pheasant group or something.

One of the endemic larks in SE Ethioia - is it Sidamo or Degodi- is very off limits due to problems both with Somalis coming across the border and locals not being too friendly.
Or at least it was in December 2007 when our trip was not allowed within 50km.

Steve

Once, in the height of the pre-monsoon hyper-humid season, I had the stupid idea to try to get to the Palas valley in Pakistan's North West Frontier Province, hope was for Western Tragopan. Got amoebic dysentry before I got there! Then detoured to Afghan borderlands, saw nothing as far as I remember. Pakistan made such an impression that I still have never been back!

Never got amoebic dysentry Jos....closest i got to that was probably on Mekong River where i stupidly had a fish supper...didn't know Mekong was so polluted! Had nightmarish 'visions' of 'fish-head' staring at me all night!.....i won't give any more 'details' tho about the affects of 'fish-head'...;)

ps....maybe a good thread?...'what's the sickest you've ever been whilst on birding trip'........or has it been done?

ps....maybe a good thread?...'what's the sickest you've ever been whilst on birding trip'........or has it been done?

Surprisingly, that is the only time I have ever been ill whilst on a trip, not even a stomach upset. Did once get malaria ten days after a trip though ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back