• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen 8x43 ED2 quality (1 Viewer)

Tedster

i got a pair of the Zen ED2's 8x43 on order i was just wondering how everyones is holding up
is everyone enjoying them or are some having any issues with them just trying to get a little feedback

thanks ted

whats up with that

man this forum sure is hard to get someone to speak up, on archerytalk someone usually answers you within ten minutes on here you can come back 2 or 3 days later and see if anyone answered you

The problem in the ZenRay forum is that most of the contributors are in the U.S. and the activity arrives later in the day. You posted this at 06:38 GMT. Just have a bit of patience but also recognise the time aspect with this particular forum.

But, if your thread doesn't inspire replies, that is unfortunate, it is certainly not indicative of the site as a whole.... as you will learn over time if you browse the other forums here, as opposed to the ZenRay forum which has only recently been created.

i got a pair of the Zen ED2's 8x43 on order i was just wondering how everyones is holding up
is everyone enjoying them or are some having any issues with them just trying to get a little feedback

thanks ted

I now have 3 Zens (7 x 36ED2, 8 x 43ED and 10 x 43ED) and all are holding up without problems. I had earlier given my 10 x 42 ZRS to my son-in-law, a hunter who is hard on his equipment, and he, too, reports no problems in our present rainy and miserable weather, and is also blown away by the Zen value for money equation.

Last edited:
There are lots of threads on here indicating people's experience with all of the Zens, including the ED2 8X43. I think no one has anything significant to add to what's in the general flow. ED2's have some issues as do all binoculars, as discussed in the threads. I have all 3 of the ED2 lineup (original 7X, not the new one) and love them all. Chances are you'll love the ED2 8X, but only you can decide. Guess you'll know when you get them.

man this forum sure is hard to get someone to speak up, on archerytalk someone usually answers you within ten minutes on here you can come back 2 or 3 days later and see if anyone answered you
Wow, Tedster, you gotta chill....we have stuff going on besides internet forums!!!;) I don´t have the 8x43, but yesterday got the 7x36 ED2 version, and I cannot praise these binos highly enough. Light, comfortable, bright and tack-sharp (I haven´t tested them against my Swarovisions yet but they´re pretty close and one-seventh the price), the only "issue" is a tiny bit of halo-ing at the bottom of the FOV, just a thin crescent in fairly bright light towards the objectives. It´s really nothing. Good luck with yours, let us know what you think of them (but don´t feel you have to reply within minutes...;))

Sancho and Andy, It was very nice of you guys to reply to this thread even with the difference in time zones, Sancho it must be 12 PM over there and you are still on here, where as Tedster is not.:) I hope he receives his binocular pretty soon. Sancho I agree about the thin crescent on the 7x36ED 2 or is that 1?
Regards,Steve

I liked the 7x36 ED2s I had more before I spent a couple of days hunting and using them intensively. By the end of that time I felt like I was looking at a great field of view surrounded by a bright hazy disc making up about the outer 15% of the field of view, and I found it quite an annoyance after a while.

IMO, ZR would have been much better off to specify a 420 or 430' FOV that was more reasonably sharp to the edge. I know very well that the drop off in field of view with these is almost all field curvature, and that's impressive in its way, but the field is very strongly curved out there and much more of a minus than a plus.

Again, just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Hmmmm....I have the 7x32 ed2's with the updated baffles and don't notice any flare or bright disc issues,but then again I saw Hendrix live so maybe my eyes don't dialate as much anymore.(I think it's age and not because I saw Hendrix)

sorry if i seemed impatient

well i am glad to hear everyones is holding up theres a word theres a
9x36 ED2 in the mix also,i should have mine paid for soon things are tight right now but when i do get them i will post how i like them,as i am a deer hunter and want to use them for looking for some sheds i may just see how good they are at watching birds,i hunt on a sewage filtration plantation an i have seen some strange birds there,and i have no idea what some are

Ted

well i am glad to hear everyones is holding up theres a word theres a
9x36 ED2 in the mix also,i should have mine paid for soon things are tight right now but when i do get them i will post how i like them,as i am a deer hunter and want to use them for looking for some sheds i may just see how good they are at watching birds,i hunt on a sewage filtration plantation an i have seen some strange birds there,and i have no idea what some are

Ted

According to Charles at Zen-Ray yesterday the 9x36 wont be available until the end of this year or early next yr!!! Bryce.

I hope you like them when they arrive, Ted...let us know what you think!:t:

well my 10x43ED2 arrived today i didn't have to much time to play with the 8x and the 10x to compare them but did a little bit,and so far i will give a slight edge to the 8x but i am gonna meet a friend of mine tomorrow evening
he is bringing his 10x42 leicas and to see how the zens stack up with them,but i will know tomorrow if i am keeping the 8x or the 10x but i was impressed with both but i can use my glasses a little better with the 8x i will let you know more tomorrow we will have about 1hr and 15min.of daylight when we start comparing before it is completely dark outside so we should have a good comparison in low light also

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back