• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Haast eagle - The giant moa killer. (1 Viewer)

BrownnishSkua

I know the haast eagle is the largest and most powerful eagle and yet it is extinct. Its able to suppossedly be able to regularly kill giant moas because there are no land predators in its area which are large enough to post a threat to it while it feeds on the ground.
Scientist have discovered marks of its talons on moas bones (e.g. pelvis), does anyone have a little more information about its power? Also there are some whom say its predation on moas are theoretical - I wonder what you guys might say. I hope to see some interesting insight here :).

true but it did unquestionably predate large bipeds so when humans arrived the odd close encounter seems likely

Sure- I wouldn't be surprised if one took an occasional adult and children must have been taken at times. Smaller African Crowned Eagles are known to have preyed upon hominids and probably still do on rare occasions-a friend of mine who used to live in Zimbabwe knew someone who found the talon pierced skull of a boy at the nest of a Crowned Eagle.

Sure- I wouldn't be surprised if one took an occasional adult and children must have been taken at times. Smaller African Crowned Eagles are known to have preyed upon hominids and probably still do on rare occasions-a friend of mine who used to live in Zimbabwe knew someone who found the talon pierced skull of a boy at the nest of a Crowned Eagle.

It's no surprising If African Crowned Eagles to sometimes take on children like the other forest eagles (Harpy and Philippine Eagles) which has similar stories or unconfirmed reports that prey on monkeys probably because babies or children resembles the size and shape of a monkey which the forest eagle's favorite prey.

Last edited:
seems a bit far fetched. It wasn't that much bigger than todays largest eagles.

I agree w/u maybe small children but not a full grown human.. the large female Haast's eagle can weighs 14-15 kg, about 50% larger than the largest living eagles today.

Last edited:
I agree w/u maybe small children but not a full grown human.. the large female Haast's eagle can weighs 14-15 kg, about 50% larger than the largest living eagles today.

Since golden eagles can occassionally take on 300 pound antelopes even if they are sick, its not going to be a surprise if a haast eagle can take on a human.
I wonder how the haast eagle will react should it live in the same area as huge mamalian carnivores.

Since golden eagles can occassionally take on 300 pound antelopes even if they are sick, its not going to be a surprise if a haast eagle can take on a human.
I wonder how the haast eagle will react should it live in the same area as huge mamalian carnivores.

A 300 lb deer or even 500 lb moa is far different from a fullgrown human with a very large brain that can make weapons and learned from it's hunting expiriences and eventually defends itself from such aireal predator.

I far as I know there are no proof or accounts that it actually preyed on humans, It was only a Māori legends and not proven yet.

A 300 lb deer or even 500 lb moa is far different from a fullgrown human with a very large brain that can make weapons and learned from it's hunting expiriences and eventually defends itself from such aireal predator.

I undersatnd, however, a bare handed human is still no match for a haast eagle. A haast eagle would kill a bare-handed human rather than vice versa.

I far as I know there are no proof or accounts that it actually preyed on humans, It was only a Māori legends and not proven yet.

Its still capable despite those lagends. Raptors seem more wary of humans compared to corvids.

But he still doesn't have eyes in the back of his head.....

A 500lb Moa would quite probably be more of an adversary than a 100lb - 150lb human. Assuming that the maori natives were a percentage smaller than today's western type man such as I guess those discussing this are...

But he still doesn't have eyes in the back of his head.....

A 500lb Moa would quite probably be more of an adversary than a 100lb - 150lb human. Assuming that the maori natives were a percentage smaller than today's western type man such as I guess those discussing this are...

go look at the new zealand rugby team all the huge man eating ones are maori

I undersatnd, however, a bare handed human is still no match for a haast eagle. A haast eagle would kill a bare-handed human rather than vice versa.

Its still capable despite those lagends. Raptors seem more wary of humans compared to corvids.

Capable maybe to unaware human the point is there are NO proof that it preyed on humans which means they were not capable enough to hunt on humans, brain power still the most effective weapon that is why we are the most successful specie on the planet and they as we all know now EXTINCT.

Last edited:
hello , I think that the strenght of talons of haas eagle is very powerful, this eagle is dangerous for the pionners maoris ; Informations of the pressure of talons of eagles: bald eagle:around of 400psi(183kg) ; harpy eagle: around 530psi(240kg). sorry for my english

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back