• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shorebird (heron?) in NC (1 Viewer)

akl7248

I am new to birding, and I came across this injured bird yesterday that I could not identify. I thought it was a type of heron, but I can't find one in my books or online with the blue-ish bill and legs and white, brown, and blue feathers. Hoping someone can help me! The photo was taken on a barrier island in NC near Cape Lookout. The injured bird eventually hopped back into the water and disappeared---I'd like to think he flew away, but I am not sure a happy ending was the case. :(

Attachments

• DSC_0363.jpg
    DSC_0363.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 162
Looks to me to be some sort of diver/loon. Maybe a Great northern diver/loon. Im sure somebody will id it more accuratly for you.

Common Loon (probably hatch-year?) , and not a happy bird. If it came ashore like this, there's definitely something not right with it ...

Thanks. The bird was definitely in distress. I wanted to help it but was unsure what to do---we were an hour boat ride from town and traveling in a small skiff. There was no way we could take the bird with us on that long bumpy ride back in, and unsure whether or not there was anyplace that would take him in once we got there. When he went back out on the water, I saw him raising up and flapping his wings several times, so I was hoping he was going to be okay...

Making sure the bird got back in the water was probably the best feasible thing you could do in that situation. On land a Loon has practically no chance of survival, as they are pretty helpless out of the water (unlike, say, many ducks).

It's a Common Loon that hatched last year or earlier. Year-old birds linger far to the south of the breeding range in places like North Carolina. The species breeds no closer than northern New York and northern New England.

Thanks. The bird was definitely in distress. I wanted to help it but was unsure what to do---we were an hour boat ride from town and traveling in a small skiff. There was no way we could take the bird with us on that long bumpy ride back in, and unsure whether or not there was anyplace that would take him in once we got there. When he went back out on the water, I saw him raising up and flapping his wings several times, so I was hoping he was going to be okay...

I mean, you probably made the right choice. Trying to move a bird of that size, strength, and bill size would not be wise, nor safe - not for you anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back