• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

4 x Vietnam IDs please (1 Viewer)

vilbs

Trying to go through my "never did find out what they were" photos. Any help on these 4 birds taken in Vietnam last year would be much appreciated.
Many thanks

Attachments

• 2017-04-04 - DSCN0173 - vietnam forest near ninh binh.jpg
    2017-04-04 - DSCN0173 - vietnam forest near ninh binh.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 2017-04-05 - DSCN0306 - vietnam ninh binh.jpg
    2017-04-05 - DSCN0306 - vietnam ninh binh.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 40
  • 2017-04-07 - DSCN0480 - Vietnam Sa Pa.jpg
    2017-04-07 - DSCN0480 - Vietnam Sa Pa.jpg
    758.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 2017-04-08 - DSCN0566 - Vietnam Ha Long.jpg
    2017-04-08 - DSCN0566 - Vietnam Ha Long.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 111
Brilliant. Thanks Andy. Quick question though what do you mean by "on range" - is that like "on its hunting ground"?

“On range” means that on the basis of the photo alone it’s not possible to eliminate several other species but given the location you can be quite confident of the ID
James

Brilliant. Thanks Andy. Quick question though what do you mean by "on range" - is that like "on its hunting ground"?

I meant that the two species of Pond Heron that occur in Vietnam, Javan and Chinese, are not really separable in non-breeding plumage. Once they assume breeding plumage, it's a different matter. Javan seems to occur only in S Indochina, so Chinese is much more likely in Vietnam. That's what I put the many birds I saw around Hoi An, for example, down as. Where did you see yours?

Ahhh thanks for the extra info. I saw the Heron in Sa Pa (North Vietnam) so I guess your Chinese Heron still sounds appropriate. Thanks again.

I had a wonderful trip in Asia (Singapore, Vietnam and Thailand) but to be honest Vietnam was a disappointment for birds. I am keen but not very good at birding also having kids and wife in tow makes it even more challenging - I'm sure if you knew what you were doing you would find some wonderful birds but it all seemed a bit "sparse". Apparently they still hunt/trap a lot of birds so that might also explain it. In Sa Pa the only other birds I recorded was Swallows embarrassingly. Had the most amazing time though - wonderful place. For birds though Thailand was amazing! Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back