• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

how to mount a large one? (1 Viewer)

Duke Leto

Without habitat, there is no wildlife. It's that s
:eek!: Okay so I break my bank buying a big lens and want to get the best use out of it, I have a Benbo Mk1 (actually had it for @ 18 years) currently I use a Manfrotto ball head for my 300/4 plus 1.4 which works well. Looking at what I've got to hand I would say that my Benbo ball head is a better option as its a meatier ball head for the new 500mm lens.
So get to the question I hear you moan, what is a reasonable set up for a 500mm lens in terms of head and fixing, is it best to go full on for some gimbal / kirk mount or will I be better of (and stay married) looking at lower cost options?
In the mean time I will use the 500mm lens (when its back from a service) on my trusty old Benbo head with the 3/8th threaded mount.

comments as always appreciated

BTW England to retain the RWC........B :)B :)

I tried using a ball head with my 500mm lens and did not like it at all - I found it hard to control, though a decent Benbo ball head may work better. For three years I used a Manfrotto 501 video head with my 500 prime, this is a really good head. It's rock solid and very smooth - at ~£125 it's a good deal less expensive than a full gimbal. (I tested the 501 against the Manfrotto 393 gimbal and found it to be amuch more stable option). I now use a Jubo Black Widow gimbal head - while this is nicer for flight shots it's not a huge step up from the 501.

I'm not sure where you are in Suffolk, but if you wanted to meet up (I'm near Swaffham) then you could try my 501 and my gimbal with your new lens.

I'm at the bottom of the A140 near Ipswich so would be extremely grateful if you could meet me somewhere? When the lens returns next week I'll pm you.
Again thanks for the input and suggestion

Unlike Peter, I have found the manfrotto 393 to be excellent, with the same 500 sigma lens, but a heavier body. Perhaps this made balance easier to achieve? It took me about an hour to get the initial set-up right, but now I leave the QR plate on the lens, with the positioning marked out, so it is very quick to remount in balance. The disadvantage of this head is that it is very bulky and doesnt take the smaller lenses very well. I have bought a short centre column for my tripod to mount it on, so as I can use my usual head for general photography simply by swapping columns.
On a different tack would a sidekick fit your ball head? I have seen some comments on here saying these are sufficent for 500 primes.

not sure if your into diy but i still use this one
Rob http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=58223

And I followed Rob's suggestion and love mine. I've put a Wimberley plate on mine and it is great for the 500f4.

My tripod is a bit more expensive :) It has four wheels and John Deere on the bonnet.

Actually I have a Manfrotto 055 NAt which is OK. The 128RC head is really beyond it's limit so I am thinking of making another gimball but will need to get a decent pod mounting made up. Currently much prefer to use the tractor - sherpa, hide and support all in one.

Mike.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back