• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkeys Knob...The Return! (1 Viewer)

This year must be a good year for nocturnal species as added another last night when checking the moth trap at midnight - an Australian Owlet Nightjar was calling and then I saw something fly along the edge of the woodland at the bottom of the garden.

Nothing new to report from the last couple of weeks - it has been quite a quiet spring here really. Of note though has been a calling Fan-tailed Cuckoo in the village for the last few days and the Papuan Frogmouth is calling from very close by every night but I still have not managed to find him!
A very bad picture of the Fan-tailed Cuckoo - although you can just about see its yellow eye ring!

Attachments

• IMG_2070.JPG
    IMG_2070.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 152
There has been a run of good birds this week - the Papuan Frogmouth decided to show itself this week, although it did not hang around long enough for a photo. Flybys were then the order of the day with a single Collared Sparrowhawk and Crested Tern drifting over the house midweek and then some of my favourite summer visitors White-throated Needletails put in an appearence with three whizzing around the house on Sunday

Another nice raptor this week in the form of a Hobby that whizzed past my face when I was picking up the boys from school

New for the season a single Pacific Swift flew through over the weekend. Hoping for a few more over the next couple of weeks IF the Wet ever arrives - mid November and have had little more than 25mm rain...seriously impacting on my mothing!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back