• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey squirrel anyone?? (1 Viewer)

Keithec

'Green Scum'
I have just heard an item on BBC radio 5 about a restaurant in London that has started to serve grey squirrel on its menu. The supplier apparantly gets them from areas where they are shot "to protect songbirds' eggs". I have no qualms about this by the way. If something is shot and is edible for humans why not eat it?

The most curious part for me however was the chef saying that he was carrying on an old English tradition.

Really????

Keith

frecklezgecko said:
I could supply a few of the little b*****ds from my garden!

Phil
I think the tradition is imported from the US as is the squirrel. The restaurant is St John in Smithfield and there amy be others (and yes I have partaken- they remove the tail before serving which is thoughtful of them).

Squirrell is very nice, although you dont get much meat on them, wrapped in tinfoil with a nob of butter and a couple of slices of orange and the juice then cooked in the oven or on the fire in the woods after a days bird spotting, well its conservation by consumption lol ;)

Currently reading Ted Ellis's life history, he apparently regularly ate Coypu and he was also known to serve up Snails and Rooks but as for Grey squirrel

" and once even tucked into a grey squirrel;this proved so tough that even the dog could'nt eat it "

Best left for the top london chefs ?

Eight - my goodness! Sorry to digress but what is the collective noun for squirrels? (cooked or otherwise). 'Mine' were bombarded the other day by a "tiding" of Magpies!

You don't want to know what my collective noun for them is!

I've heard of a drey of squirrels, but always thought that was the name of their nest?

helenol said:

I've heard of a drey of squirrels, but always thought that was the name of their nest?

A "nutter" of squirrels! Fantastic! LOL.

I have heard of a "scurry" of squirrels. Mine used to scurry when I zapped them with a water pistol but now they just laugh at me (well they seem to). I resorted to throwing a potato at one today but he was back on the feeder within minutes!

When I lived in Connecticut squirrels were plentiful, even obnoxious. When I moved to South Carolina they were not plentiful, and in some places, nearly rare. I think the difference was that they were hunted avidly in South Carolina. Now I'm in Florida and they are obnoxious once again. Can't say I've ever eaten one though. Just wish more people would.

helenol said:

Ooooh but we do Helen ;)

I came across my son's powerful water pistol and thought ah ha. It was brilliant for about ten minutes!!! I waited til they used a lot of energy to get onto the bird feeder and then zap..... I loved it the first time. But within minutes they have it sorted, learn exactly the trajectory I can reach, know immediately whether I'll follow up with a madwoman dash. Know that I won't do anything if ground feeding birds are beneath the feeder. I have a newspaper article pinned on my noticeboard which says, "Britain has 'legal duty' to kill grey squirrels". Yet still I lack the courage but oh how I want to. If I bought a trap I'm not sure how I'd deal with the next bit.

LusciniaLuscinia said:
I came across my son's powerful water pistol and thought ah ha. It was brilliant for about ten minutes!!! I waited til they used a lot of energy to get onto the bird feeder and then zap..... I loved it the first time. But within minutes they have it sorted, learn exactly the trajectory I can reach, know immediately whether I'll follow up with a madwoman dash. Know that I won't do anything if ground feeding birds are beneath the feeder. I have a newspaper article pinned on my noticeboard which says, "Britain has 'legal duty' to kill grey squirrels". Yet still I lack the courage but oh how I want to. If I bought a trap I'm not sure how I'd deal with the next bit.

It's interesting how this thread's sprung up again after a year just when today the BBC website carried this;
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5026222.stm

Keith

eating squirrels is akin to satanism, you people may well languish in a squirrel filled Bosch landscape for eternity ...

however, 18-20 tails make a fabby scope jacket ..

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back