• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leitz (1 Viewer)

Based on initial observations from a family member, the glass is not a 7X35 but printed on the tubes 7X42B , 140m/1000m, Leitz Wetzlar Germany, non armored version. They said the view is on the clearish side through both tubes, however when they looked through the objectives, a couple of spots, so looks like mold,.....errrrrr - perhaps I can save the prisms, hopefully.
They were packed and will be shipped soon. At least the area of storage is dry. Will provide pics when They arrive. A.W.

A.W.,

For the 7x42 you need the 19 mm Leitz eye cups. In case these are not available from Leica any more, don’t throw away the old cracked or cut-off cups because you can build up custom made eye cups on its threaded base using bicycle inner tube. The results can be quite nice.
Also, forget about the Nikon eye cups as used on the SE and E2 porro’s. These don’t fit, they’re far too wide in diameter (they’re even far too wide on the Nikon body’s) and they will look horrible on the nicely proportioned Leitz Trinovids.

Renze

Renze,

I would like to get the actual replacement eyecups since it is a B version, not the earlier versions with limited Eye relief, I am sure this will be some work and $$$?

A.W.

7X42 Leitz

The Leitz came in the mail today, surprisingly it is better than I anticipated,( a couple of pics attached).
Initial observations

Only one very small spot of fungus in one objective (does not hampen view)
One of the objectives appears to have lost some of its coating, the other clear.
One of the objective tubes is very slightly loose, so the bino goes in and out of focus, if I just slightly move it it goes out of focus, nice view of the snow. I think I have a winner here, with some qualified service of course, I am very pleased.
Some more pics tomorrow.

A.W.

Last edited:
Leitz 7X42

Well the Leitz in the previous post is still in need of rehab...... I was perusing on the net looking to see if any eyecups, objective lens out there and landed this other 7X42b.(on the left with the circular leitz logo.
It is a later model made in Germany and came with the original case, perfect collimation, and the view for a glass from the late 80s? is a marvel, the solid build, movement of focus with new leatherette, crisp sharp edges to pine needles and wood fragments, makes me realize the great manufacturing that went into this glass. All for less than $350 shipped. I had never viewed one of these 7X42s in almost new condition.
Now I have two, this one needs a couple of eyecups and ready to view this spring, the other will still go for rehab.

A.W.

Last edited:
those older Leitz Trinovids are built like a tank..a lot of nice machining... ...and I like the view through them on nice days....I have 5 of them.....some from back in the day and some picked up the last few years.....let us know how your repairs go.....

This one I just picked up is like a new one, the glass is spotless and with a new pair of eye-cups, will be used this spring for sure. Yes they are exceptionally well built, if Leica made these again new, they would cost more than any premium glass today, no plastic except on the threaded bushing on the eyecup.
Even on this gray dreary day on the east coast, the views are awesome.

A.W.

They look well made for sure, but how do you find the lack of phase coatings affects your view through them compared to your more modern roof glasses, or indeed your porros? I have used single coated porros (am guessing your Leitz are from before multi-coating was introduced?) and have found they are acceptable for my closer in observation (c.500m or less) if the conditions are bright enough.

Last edited:
the 7x35 s the one leica was supposed to upgrade with modern coatings, phase coatings, waterproofing and maybe di-electric mirrors...but they backed out after some dealers were already taking orders....dinks...

They look well made for sure, but how do you find the lack of phase coatings affects your view through them compared to your more modern roof glasses, or indeed your porros? I have used single coated porros (am guessing your Leitz are from before multi-coating was introduced?) and have found they are acceptable for my closer in observation (c.500m or less) if the conditions are bright enough.

Today was overcast here in the Northeast, and viewing with them at less than 200-300m, provides some crisp clear views with contrast, hell my Kern 8X30 1988 is fun in that depth range, though it is IF.
And no, it cannot cannot compete with my Meopta 7X42, it does not have to, when I view with them- it is sort of in a way, a respect of history.

A.W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back