• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawfinch (1 Viewer)

:-O
Yippee! I have finally seen a hawfinch, and from the comfort of my living room too. It was mooching about at the bottom of the garden in a wild cherry tree. Bit disappointed with the colours though, I thought it would be brighter. If it wasn't for the massive beak it could have been mistaken for a female Chaffinch. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Jackie

hawfinches are great you just need to see them properly with bright colours.
anyway there great birds and i have not seen one for a very long time.

Well done you :clap:

Not THE easiest of birds to catch up with....I saw my last ones as a group of three flew overhead waaaay back in May 1986!!! Ain't been fortunate enough to have seen any since BUT i have a secret weapon which I'm hoping to use to my advantage this winter! I work right on the doorstep of Hulne Park which is, apparently, one of THE best *and most reliable* sites for the species in Northumberland! So I'm going to be making regular trips there in the coming weeks/months until I DO see one!

Gill

Gill Osborne said:
Well done you :clap:

Not THE easiest of birds to catch up with....I saw my last ones as a group of three flew overhead waaaay back in May 1986!!! Ain't been fortunate enough to have seen any since BUT i have a secret weapon which I'm hoping to use to my advantage this winter! I work right on the doorstep of Hulne Park which is, apparently, one of THE best *and most reliable* sites for the species in Northumberland! So I'm going to be making regular trips there in the coming weeks/months until I DO see one!

Gill

Gill,

I've only been to Hulne Park once and saw Hawfinches near the gate lodge. I may have been incredibly lucky but it suggested to me that they are not too difficult to see there.

David

What a fantastic garden bird!

You're right about the colours though - saw my first one last week, probably a juvenile, and it did remind me of a female Chaffinch.

Saw an adult about half an hour later and wow - that has colour. A superb bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back