• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another EP Question? (1 Viewer)

Jerry A.

Well, after several months of research I finally ordered a PF-65ED today. I think I will be happy with it based on my needs. After reading all the negatives, I still choose to go with the bundled Pentax zoom EP for general birding purposes.

However, I would also like to try some of the fixed EP's discussed in the many threads here. I might even try some digiscoping, but mainly would like to see the visual results, and how the fixed EP can be used for birding. Something in the 30X to 40X range would be perfect. I don't want to spend the money on a Pentax fixed EP right now but would like to try something in the $50 - $125 range.

Could someone suggest the best U.S. sources for purchasing. Also, I see the term plossl, wideview, super-wide, etc. All of these are confusing! Which one do I want? In fact, if someone would suggest a specific model number and source I would be greatly appreciative!!

By the way, for those using the higher power fixed EP's with angled scopes, how do you initially get the subject in the field of view? With zooms it's easy to go to low power, acquire the subject, then zoom into high power. With fixed does one have to carry several EP's and constantly change?

Sorry for the long post, but I will look forward to some help. I also appreciate all of the comments that helped me decide on a Pentaxx.

Jerry, with a Pentax 65, to get 30x would require a 13mm eyepiece. The best 13mm eyepiece (in your specified price range) that can also be used for some digiscoping (I don't recommend using it for beginners) is the 13mm Stratus. You can go to www.telescope.com to purchase one.

I've said it before in other threads, and I'll say it here, the best starter digiscoping eyepiece is the 40mm Plossl. You can go here to buy one: http://www.handsonoptics.com/ep_gto.html or to save on shipping, just buy a 40mm plossl along with the 13mm Stratus from the www.telescope.com website.

You can see from the pictures posted on my various eyepiece thread that the 40mm gives the best looking pictures. Also, here is a picture I took with my Plossl 32mm.

Attachments

• Plossl32mm1X.jpg
    Plossl32mm1X.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Jerry A. said:
In fact, if someone would suggest a specific model number and source I would be greatly appreciative!!

SF:
I would suggest the Orion Stratus 13mm (30x) and/or the Orion Stratus 17mm (23x). Both would give you wide well corrected bright views at a reasonable price.

Go here:
http://www.telescope.com/jump.jsp?itemID=73598&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1,2,6,30

By the way, for those using the higher power fixed EP's with angled scopes, how do you initially get the subject in the field of view?

SF:
See the thread "A finder scope for my 80mm" in this forum.
On a 65mm scope I wouldn't go much beyond 40x so you might not have much of a need for finder scope.

xxxxx

Sout Fork said:

Thank you. This is great info and has been suggested by others. My only concern on the Stratus is the physical size.

I acquired a PF 65 on a pretty good deal with the Pentax SMC zoom. I had no idea it was that big of an ep. The picture, er, fov are great but I think it may be a little big to carry on a 65mm. The zipper case won't close over it. I'm not sure if I should keep it or swap for an XF zoom.

So, can you give me some idea of the size of the Stratus compared to some of the high quality smaller ep's. Overall I'm very pleased with the PF 65 in general. I'm sure I will be even more happy when I get the right combination of ep's.

thanks in advance,

Jerry

So, can you give me some idea of the size of the Stratus compared to some of the high quality smaller ep's. Overall I'm very pleased with the PF 65 in general. I'm sure I will be even more happy when I get the right combination of ep's.

thanks in advance,

Jerry[/QUOTE]

I Just checked . The pentax case will close ok with the 13mm stratus attached.
Regarding the zoom .I would suggest the televue, orion or vixen 8-24mm zoom.They are all the same,they are compact & very good EP,s All about $200. Another nice one is the astro engineering 8-24 .It has a 28mm thread at the eye piece end that can be used to attache to a nikon 4500 or other camera with thread around the lens.
Good luck in your choice.
Brian.

Jerry A. said:

All I know is the size of the eps I have.
In this case the Stratus...
See thumbnail

Attachments

• ep size.jpg
    ep size.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 227
Medinabrit said:
Another nice one is the astro engineering 8-24 .It has a 28mm thread at the eye piece end that can be used to attache to a nikon 4500 or other camera with thread around the lens.
Brian
I'm really puzzled by this. I have the Astro 8-24 and the only thread on mine is at the end which goes into the body of the scope. Is this the thread you're talking about? If so, how would you use that to connect to a Nikon 4500 or similar?

John

Jerry A. said:
I acquired a PF 65 on a pretty good deal with the Pentax SMC zoom. I had no idea it was that big of an ep. The picture, er, fov are great but I think it may be a little big to carry on a 65mm. The zipper case won't close over it. I'm not sure if I should keep it or swap for an XF zoom.

Jerry
Jerry
I can confirm that the zipper case will close over the Astro 8-24 mm zoom, but that's about as large as you can go and still zip up the case

Hope this helps.

John
PS if you do try the digiscoping route, take Can's advice and buy a 32mm or 40 mm Plossl. They cost peanuts - I managed to get a Celestron 32mm for about $20.. and my best result with it so far is attached.

Attachments

• smallbullfinch.jpg
    smallbullfinch.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 184
John . look up astro engineering digimax zoom. That is the one i have . The rubber eye shield unscrews to reveal the thread .I,d give you a link but have never learned how .
Brian.

Eyepieces with thread on the "camera side" that I know are: Pentax eyepieces, DCL28, DCL37/42 and the new baader eyepieces that are the same size and shape as the orion stratus. I have the pentax XW20 (great), the DCL-28 (great) and the Orion 13mm that I use for handheld digiscoping. I'm happy with all of them.
I could never find the astro-engennering eyepiece otherwise I would have tried.Jose.

medinabrit said:
John . look up astro engineering digimax zoom. That is the one i have . The rubber eye shield unscrews to reveal the thread .I,d give you a link but have never learned how .
Brian.
Brian,
Just copy the address from the top of your browser's window when you're on the page with the Astro Zoom and then paste it into a message (or alternatively e-mail it to me!)

It seems pretty clear from what you've said that AE must do at least 2 versions of an 8-24 zoom, 'cos mine definately ain't got no screw thread under the rubber eyepiece cover!

Academic (to me) in any case as my camera doesn't have a lens thread either...

John

Brian:

I'm not sure at this point I want to get rid of the SMZ zoom in favor of a smaller zoom. If I do, I would probably have to go with the Pentax XF and trade the SMZ back in. That's what I'm trying to make a decision on.

My thoughts at this time is toward the 13mmStratus, and use it as my "workhourse" ep since it will fit the 65mm protective case, and then keep the SMZ zoom. It is such a big ep but the view is great! I just wish I knew if I could get as good a view with a smaller zoom like the XF.

Based on your comment and SF's measurements, the 13mm will be no problem with the PF 65's case.

medinabrit said:

thanks in advance,

Jerry

I Just checked . The pentax case will close ok with the 13mm stratus attached.
Regarding the zoom .I would suggest the televue, orion or vixen 8-24mm zoom.They are all the same,they are compact & very good EP,s All about $200. Another nice one is the astro engineering 8-24 .It has a 28mm thread at the eye piece end that can be used to attache to a nikon 4500 or other camera with thread around the lens.
Good luck in your choice.
Brian.[/QUOTE]

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back