• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ng Tung Chai, Hong Kong (1 Viewer)

Good stuff Mike. And I am sure the pigsh*t pool will be sorely missed, never had views of Painted Snipe like that before; made me forget about the smell (almost:)))

With a Brown-chested Jungle Flycatcher being trapped at Tai Po Kau yesterday I was energised to go into Ng Tung Chai this morning and see what migrants I could find - and the answer was a single Eastern Crowned Warbler. I also had a female Hainan Blue Flycatcher which came up from a perch at the base of a grove of bamboo that holds the tiny bamboo bat (they roost inside the stems).

But best sightings of the day were all amphibians - the regular Hong Kong Cascade Frogs , a Hong Kong Newtwas woking its way methodically through a finge of underwater algae, and best of all terrfic views of a Green Cascade Frog, which I think, but am not certain, is another endemic. However it was an NTC tick, and just my second ever in Hong Kong. (NB I took the attached photo in Jiangxi - they are very similar, but green cascade frogs have a taxonomy as complicated as Yellow Wagtails!)

This was on the same pool where Hanno and I saw the Big headed Terrapin earlier in the year.

Cheers
Mike

PS Glad you have good memories of the Pigsh*t pool Hanno - it was only very shallow when dry, so the rain we're having now may just do the trick!

Attachments

• Green-Cascade-Frog-bf.jpg
    Green-Cascade-Frog-bf.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Signs of migration - Sooty Flycatcher appeared this evening at the edge of the field in front of my house - good job I went out to look at the family party of nine Scarlet Minivets I heard calling and a couple of Velvet-fronted Nuthatches also bounced past the balcony, buzzing out their usual high-pitched rattling call.

And adding to this year's terrific total of Barking Deer - one crossed the road to the village as I was coming home for lunch - maybe we need to get Tiger or Leopard back in Hong Kong for a bit of population control (as long as its not the human population!)

Cheers
Mike

Yesterday evening's Sooty Flycatcher on the edge of the field next to the carpark was a sign of more to come today after the overnight rain. However, the only good birds on the way up were a migrant Eastern Crowned Warbler, a female Hainan Blue Flycatcher and a couple of Chestnut Bulbuls (my first for several months).

On the way down Don't Dip Dell held an Arctic Warbler and a male Hainan Blue Flycatcher . I also heard Pygmy Wren Babbler, Lesser Shortwing and several Mountain Tailorbirds. Red-billed Leiothrix popped out in a couple of spots.

A little disappointing in all, so I decided to go round to look at the spot the Sooty Flycatcher was in yesterday. Good decision - 2 Sooty Flycatchers, an Asian Brown Flycatcher and, best of the lot, a Yellow-rumped Flycatcher!

3 new birds for the autumn - not at all bad - its looking exciting for the next few weeks!

Continuing the good run of mammals I had brief views of a Wild Boar drifting away through the trees on the slope above the path.

Cheers
Mike

What a great reward for checking out the power lines that stretch across the village - three Dollarbirds were my first of the autumn. They were perched a long way up and several hundred metres away, but the one I got the scpe on was a dull-billed juvenile.

As I was watching I got onto a pair of raptors hanging on the wind even further away - above the ridge. they hung for several minutes without flapping, showing a long round-tipped tail and possibly the hint of dark underwing coverts. A pair of Bonelli's Eales - just my second ever sighting here.

Scanning further, and the flick of a sickle-shaped wing and a slender tail, again high and distant, betrayed the presence of a Hobby, which flipped and dipped in hot pursuit, but unfortunately this took it behind the shoulder of the hill.

While waiting for it to reappear a couple of Grey Wagtails flipped over and ,on their second circuit, dropped right down into the village. A larger bird coming in the from the north proved to be the first of a flight of 12 more Dollarbirds, which swooped over the village before settling on the wires for the night, bring my total to 15 - a new high count (by one) for my patch, and I think a new autumn record for Hong Kong.

And to put the icing on the cake - just as I was waiting at the bus stop this evening a juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron flew over the sign identifying the village and giving me a new patch tick - no 176!

After a couple of days of NW winds I'll be in the forest tomorrow in the hope of racking up something good as this is an unusual wind direction at this time of year.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Yesterday started out quiet until an Asian Brown Flycatcher flicked onto a wire above the temple, but then continued slow until just before my turnign point at the Lower Falls, where I found a male Hainan Blue Flycatcher, an Eastern Crowned Warbler, an Arctic Warbler and my first Pale-legged Leaf Warbler of the autumn.

On the way down I had a very early Mountain Bush Warbler, but since their breeding numbers just 400-500 metres higher up the hill have been increasing, its perhaps not surprising.

I also had rare views of a Pygmy Wren Babbler, which I regularly hear but see perhaps once every 15 -20 visits. It began alarm-calling close to the path, but was too curious to simply melt away, as they so often do, and finally gave me good, close views of this scaly little fishball of a babbler.

As I left the village on my way into town a Sooty Flycatcher on a prominent perch added to the feeling there had been something of an arrival.

Cheers
Mike

Welcome back Mark - Iwas beginning t wonder where you'd got to.

No Brown shrike for me, but they are passing through HK. My local Long-tailed shrike is more prominint than usual so perhaps on alert to keep out unwanted intruders.

How was Lanyu?

Cheers
Mike

Welcome back Mark - Iwas beginning t wonder where you'd got to.

No Brown shrike for me, but they are passing through HK. My local Long-tailed shrike is more prominint than usual so perhaps on alert to keep out unwanted intruders.

How was Lanyu?

Cheers
Mike

Hi Mike,

Typhoons put an end to the planned Lanyu trip. I'm wondering if it really exists. This was my 4th attempt that's been done in by the weather.

I was away at a humpback dolphin workshop for ten days. No birds but still felt like a break. I was up in Hehuanshan over the weekend. Lot's of Collard Bush Robin about. Also had good views of Taiwan Laughing Thrush, Yuhina, and Sibia. Also saw Vinacious Rosefinch, Nuthatch, Brown and Grey-headed Bullfinch, Green-backed Tit, White-tailed Robin and Steere's Liocichla amongst others.

Sorry to hear about Lanyu, Mark. One day . . . at least you had some seriously tempting birds in the mountains.

NTC was quiet this morning - just 4 Arctic Warblers and an Asian Brown Flycatcher.

However One of the Arctics was acting very strangely - there was rain overnight which ad soaked the folaige of the bush it was in. It appeared to be washing by deliberately jumping into clusters of wet leaves , and then shaking itself dry on a nearby perch, and then repeating the whole exercise - it must have done this ten or twelve times in a couple of minutes.

It seemed a rather tedious way to take a bath as there is a good sized stream just 50m below the point I saw the bird. However it was certainly entertaining to watch.

Anyone else ever witnessed similar behaviour?

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Quiet again this morning, but since the wind has shifted to the optimum direction for migrants to keep moving - NE - and it was clear last night, that's not altgether a surprise.

All that being said a Dollarbird flying around in front of the house was a great start, but the only migrants in the forest were a Pale-legged/Sakhalin Leaf Warbler and a typically clumsy Arctic Warbler.

The only other bird of note was an adult Crested Serpent Eagle, which came off its overnight perch as I came round the corner.

Perhaps most interesting was watching some bees successfully defending their nest from a predatory Hornet.

Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Three dys of rain and helpful wind had me eagerly entering the forest yesterday, despite the ache in my legs from the first hockey match of the season the day before, and . . . chaff all!

No migrants whatsoever on the way up, and just an Asian Brown Flycatcher and an Arctic Warbler on the way down.

A quick follow-up from yesterday - a drongo that whipped overhead which I suspected of being Ashy Drongo confirmed itself today as I saw it briefly this afternoon from my rooftop. This beats my previous earliest record here - 24 October- by plenty!

Two more Dollarbirds arrived from points north this evening - settled on the wires 100m from the house, and then had a late evening hunt over the valley - wonderful! Its looking like being a very good autumn for these lovely birds.

I also heard a Pale-legged/Sakhalin Leaf Warbler while walking in the forest with my in-laws to be.

a Fairy Pitta was found just over the ridge from my valley this morning. Sooner or later . . .

Sadly no pix of the Pitta Mark - I still dream of finding one of the colour-ringed Huben birds in Ng Tung Chai.

Yesterday I had four more Dollarbirds on the high wires, and possibly another on a tree above the entrance to the village later in the morning - no idea if this included the two from last night.

Cheers
Mike

Sadly no pix of the Pitta Mark - I still dream of finding one of the colour-ringed Huben birds in Ng Tung Chai.

Yesterday I had four more Dollarbirds on the high wires, and possibly another on a tree above the entrance to the village later in the morning - no idea if this included the two from last night.

Cheers
Mike
Mike, that would be something !

Still no Pitta, but four more Dollarbirds and the Ashy Drongo again this morning. Hopefuly the Drongo will winter.

Cheers

Mike

Three more Dollarbirds yesterday morning brings me level with my best ever score of 29 from Ng Tung Chai, but their pasage period is coming dangerously close - with 2nd October my previous latest record . . .getting interesting!

This morning I had a flock of about 20 Scarlet Minivets and the Ashy Drongo from the roof and a Besra flying along near the power lines made me think I was in with Dollarbird number 30, but no such luck!

Cheers
Mike

Yesterday I finally got some reward from the bad weather that has kept me indoors forthe last couple of days, when I visited here with UK-based birder Martin Gostling:

One minute into the walk up the valley behind the village a first winter male Siberian Blue Robin called twice from the middle of the path as it briefly stepped back to eye me suspiciously before tugging away at a hefty-sized worm. There are only 4-5 records of this species every year in HK, and Ng Tung Chai has a disproportionally large number of records - this was my fifth consecutive year of recording it here and my eighth bird during that time! The last week of September is the peak time.

This was followed, during the walk up to the Top Falls, by single Arctic, Eastern Crowned and Pale-legged/Sakhalin Leaf Warblers. Better still, the latter two were with a Japanese Paradise Flycatcher- My first of the year, which secures four consecutive years of seeing this lovely bird here. A Mountain Tailorbird performed wonderfully for Martin -coming in so close that we didn't need tobins to take in every feature as it sang cheerfully at us.

In addition, Great Barbet Scarlet Minivet, Chestnut Bulbul, Lesser Shortwing and Pygmy Wren Babbler called called, but much too far away to be seen.

Cheers
Mike

Limited to birding from the roof this morning as I bust my nose playing (field) hockey last night and was very wary of trying to fit my bins round the interestingly-shaped bulge on the front of my face before having it reset when the hospital opens.

However there was a silver lining to the cloud . . . a new patch tick this morning! - 3 Grey Herons appeared over the hill behind me on the first thermals of the morning.

There were also 6 Black Drongos moving steadily SW down the valley - another indication that migration is well under way.

Cheers
Mike

PS
On the way to the hospital I managed to forget my wallet and on my way out f the village for the second time I had a Dark-sided Flycatcher (and the silhouette of another flycatcher distantly from the bus), and a flyover Oriental Honey Buzzard.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back