• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yukon 6-100x100 (2 Viewers)

How's the Yukon scope performing?

fellowmelad said:
Hi there,

I've been following the discussion on the quality of the Yukon 100x scope. Pity ther seems to be no professional review around anywhere...

Still, these guys do make great scopes. I own a Yukon 20-50X50http://www.yukonoptics.com/eng/catalog/sibir20-50x50.htm and it's a great scope! Mine bears the label Sibir by the way...
I do have a wide experience with scopes and own an AT80. Of course, a scope such as the Yukon 20-50X50 does have the same "feel" as the AT80 but the image quality is very good. On the downside you have for example the fact that when zooming for 20 to 50 the image needs to be refocussed. A drag... but hey, what can you expect at a price of 45 euros (56 dollars).

Anyway, to cut a long story short: I've decided I'd buy a Yukon 6-100X100 and when I have tested it and compared it to my AT80 long enough, I will let you all know!

Still won't be a professional review though, but one opinion more! ;-)

Cheers,

I've been seriously thinking of buying the Yukon 6-100 x 100 scope and would like to know if you're happy with your purchase. I realise it's a question of value for money, but is it really worth the money?

hi iv been following aswell the yukon debate, and i also bought a yukon 50 mil as a present for my father in law,becouse he has a caravan on the coast and likes to look out to sea,i must say for 50 quid it wasnt bad atall,cos i gave it a good check over before giving him it,trying the sons scalextrix out on christmas eve springs to mind.
anyway iv seen one of those 100 s in my local shop,and i dare say for the price it would be ok just like the 50,but nothing special,wot bothered me was the size,it seemed a bit big to carry all day ,cos i was tempted aswell,but im going down the road of mighty midget types now,but they are only fifty mil which puts me off a bit as i would like more light gathering ability,if it was a sixty mil i would probably get one,any ideas anyone as to a sixty,but small compact and not too dear,just like the midget.

I have found some reviews of this scope. I plan on buying one soon and I promise Iwill post some test photos as soon as possible.

In the meantime, here are the reviews I found.

From Amazon : (5 out of 5 stars from all reviews)

From a birding enthusiast, November 1, 2004

I first saw this scope at the our local International Migratory Birding event. (For those who don't know about this, it takes place every second Saturday in May. It celebrates the return migration of our native birds across the country. An excellent event, look for your local gathering.) The scope looked quite different from conventional spotting scopes. This was because it isn't conventional. The magnification range goes from 6 to 100. This range is almost outrageous but it really works. The dial on the top is nice. It gives you a constant readout as to what magnification you are at. The rotating eyepiece is an excellent idea for this scope. Two can use it at the same time by just passing it back and forth. Something important when choosing a scope, especially for birding, is magnification and weight. The 100x scope is very light. I have no problems carrying this into the woods or on a hike. I wish it came with a hardcase but the soft case that is included is nice and is actaully functional.

If you are looking for a scope within this price range, seriously consider this one.

Huge magnification range, October 29, 2004

When I came across this Yukon 6-100x scope I thought the concept was great. After doing some research and finding some strong magazine reveiws I went ahead a got it. When I first pulled it out of the box I saw it came in a soft case that can be used while looking through the scope. It also has a good strap to carrying.

With the scope in my hands I first saw that there is an extendable sunshade on the end that cant be seen from the picture. The scope is very light, especially for its size not to mention a fairly different looking housing. The glass looks good and has two objective lenses. Switching between the two is easy with the knob on the side. On the top there is a dial too which tells you the magnification you are at. The eyepiece rotates 360 degrees and has a good eyepeice focus on it. As far as clarity, the scope is very good. Obviously the image quality is better at the lower powers but the high power is quite good as well. Even at over a 90 magnification. I haven't seen anything else that has the range of this scope, I don't know why other companies aren't doing this. It seems good for most needs even astronomy but mine will be parked at a window at my house.

This was an intresting scope so just a little food for thought. I liked it.

Cool, October 25, 2004

I was at the range this weekend and using my buddy Dave's scope. This was really cool. When shooting at a 400 yards i could see my shots crystal clear. I ordered one just now. I wish it came with a full size tripod for my porch but nothing is perfect. This is a good scope though.

Great for the Burbs, The Moon or West Texas, October 6, 2004
Reviewer: Steve Demko "Steve" (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews

I originally got the Yukon scope because of the price and power and figured why not. I have purchased a 125x binocular once that was a total piece of junk and was skeptical that a scope of 100x power that costs less than $1,500 could be that great. I was in for a big surprise. I ordered the unit without ever seeing it in person and when I open the box the way the scope looked was pretty modern looking. It was different from any scope I have ever seen. The unit is much larger in person than I thought but that is because it has a really big front main lens and a smaller front one. I took it outside to view some things in my back yard and once I figured out the dial on the side changed from a easy to manage 6-25 power scope to a very high magnification from 25-100 like they said on the box. It was amazing. The lower setting allowed me to see thing so clearly and close up even if they things I was seeing were close. I was looking at a neighbor's car down the street and I could read the expiration date of state inspection sticker as clear as if I was 2 inches from it. I showed a friend of mine the scope and he was pretty impressed too. His boss has some land where we used it for watching deer going to the feeder so we don't have to scare them off. I tried it to look at the moon last weekend when the moon was almost full it that was pretty cool. I have never used an astronomical telescope before so I have nothing to compare it to but the moon filled the entire viewing and was very clear and I have never seen it better in a photo in a magazine. Although it is not small it did everything I needed and was not too heavy. I highly recommend this scope to anybody especially if you want the real deal and not get ripped off by paying out the noise for a lesser scope.

thanks

FYI:

I just bought a Yukon 100mm scope on ebay for $199.

as soon as it arrives, I'll test it out and I should have some test photos to share in a few weeks.

thanks.

Digiscoping with Yukon 6-100X scope

Hi everybody,

I m new to birdforum and this is my first post.

I have been digiscoping with the Yukon 6-100X scope for a while now.

My first setup was yukon 6-100X scope with a casio P-700 using a manfrotto tripod. The biggest problem I faced was vignetting which I realised later was because of the very low eye relief of 12 mm.

Thanks Jay Turberville (I saw your post in this thread) for helping me with finding the root cause of the vignetting problem.

A few months back I started using the scope with a coolpix P2. The results are slowing turning out to be ok. I m attaching a sample for the members to comment upon.

Since I m new to digiscoping, your comments on how to improve the quality of my work would be really useful.

Thomas

Attachments

• DSCN0847-1_IF.jpg
    DSCN0847-1_IF.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 715
Only just seen this thread. I've got one of these and I use it all the time. The problem is it's my first scope so I can't really compare it with anything else. It certainly works ok for birding. I thought about trying to digiscope with it but I didn't get very far. I do have an adapter though so I might give it a whirl some time.

Tomas, what settings do you use in case I get round to it?

It's really 2 scopes in one and I generally only use the 25-100 x part. I understand the problem with most budget scopes is that they need a lot of light but with the Yukon the opposite is the case. It has excellent light gathering capacity and functions well at dusk but in bright sunlight there is some colour fringing. My thoeory is that it was developed by the Russian military but that's probably just rubbish.
It's bulky though not that heavy but I've got it on a Manfrotto ProB so I wouldn't like to lug it up a mountain. The Manfrotto lets me use it at up to 80x magnification though I've taken it up to 100 x on occasion. Mostly I scan at 25x and zoom in to 40x to 60 x when i see anything intersting, It's a bit plasticky looking but I keep the cover on. I've dropped it on rock acouple of times with no serious damage but I'm a bit more careful these days.
I read a few reviews before buying it but this is the only one I can find at the moment.
http://www.yukonamericas.com/pdfs/inthenews/jesseshunting.pdf

Please ask any question you like about this scope and I'll do my best to answer them
Graham

Last edited:
Yukon 6x-100x scope - test evaluation

Just purchased one of these scopes. So far it is a keeper - Test results to follow (once I get some sleep). :cat:

The optics were very good, as far a overall correction for spherical aberration, astigmatism and alignment. But the overriding consideration which finally caused me to return it was the extreme minimum focus at higher powers. I would estimate close focus at 100x to be in excess of 600' and perhaps as much as 1000' ! There is little that can be done about this- too bad.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back