• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Browser Defender Has Encountered Critical Error' (1 Viewer)

billsbirding

Hi,

I was browsing on internet explorer earlier and I suddenly got a message saying 'Browser Defender has encountered a critical error' and something like if I will be able to keep using the internet but parts of browser defender will be unavailable. It gives me the option to send information about the problem to help improve the defender and no matter how many times I clicked 'no' it just kept on coming back. After a Ctrl+Alt+Del ending internet explorer it finally stopped. I hear it has something to do with Spyware Doctor, which I do have installed, but not running scans. I have been running the full scan on BT NetProtect Plus most days and it hasn't picked up anything.

Any help much appreciated. I'm interested to know what playing up and why. :t:

Hi Billy,

The only reference to this problem in the PCTools forum suggests
please uninstall, make sure that \program Files\Spyware Doctor folder is deleted.

Re-boot

Re-install.

I'd go several steps further (McAfee supplies the BT NetProtect Plus, it might be a big player but it doesn't seem to do a great job) and uninstall both of them and install a different combination of tools that are likely to be more efficient.

My suggestions are Microsoft Security Essentials (you can also run Avast! alongide this safely), Privatefirewall and SpywareBlaster (you could add Malwarebytes Antimalware to this list but you'd need to modify MSE slightly first).

An extra layer of protection could be provided by using OpenDNS filtering to your connection.

There are other free options and alternatives, depending on your requirements, internet usage and operating system.

Chhers,

Andy.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back