• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (5 Viewers)

My thoughts too although the resolution is poor on the Kestrel.
A good day in the south near Cap de Ses Salines with Marsh Harrier, Red Kite, Black Vulture, Booted Eagle, Tawny Pipit and Short-toed Lark.
Mike

Thanks Mike and Martin, but please enlighten me on photos 1 and 2 showing no red colour around the eyes; could that mean that they are female and male respectively?

Also with tons of coincidence, I had what I think was a S.E. Owl sitting less than 3m from me this evening in clear view. It happened when returned home this afternoon to find a hedgehog playing dead on the steps to the house. After myself and the kids tried to feed him, we left him with a saucer of water in the garden. When I returned 5 mins later, I found that he had legged it but as it was such a still night I was sure I would hear him walking around the area so I got into the spa to watch twilight deepen. Sounds of rummaging through the dry leaves started shortly afterward, but in the opposite direction to where the hedgehog made his escape. The noises came from the lower garden where we have an almond tree and where rats normally feast. As I slid across to the other side of the spa in stealth mode to see what was going on, just below me sitting on top of a fence post was an Owl. He even looked at me and then looked away and carried on his appraisal of the situation. I think he was too big to be a Scop even though there was one calling not to far off so I assume she was a S.E. What amazed me most was when she took flight to attack or to take a closer look, and there were 3 or 4 return swoops after her initial departure, there was no sound at all of her flight. And her wingspan was considerable which made it even more amazing. I could have heard a pin drop during this time as the cicadas had just stopped 5 mins earlier and the only noise was the faint rustle on the ground in dry leaves, it could have even been a small beetle!!!
Great evening.

I'll get in with another warbler I had up at Cuber last week. Is it a juvenlie Sardinian? The very dark legs and lack of eye ring made me a bit uncertain.

Attachments

• DSC_7973.jpg
    DSC_7973.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 89
I'll get in with another warbler I had up at Cuber last week. Is it a juvenlie Sardinian? The very dark legs and lack of eye ring made me a bit uncertain.

Perhaps Moltoni's as I think they are supposed to occur there.

As for the others, I always start with the most likely and work from there. I also assumed female or juvenile birds, given the dull eye ring.

Martin

Last edited:
Despite the sweltering heat, Phil and I had a good day at s’Albufera.
Starting at the depuradora, we saw six Moustached warblers together by the sluice gate on to the left of the platform. I have never seen so many together before, they showed really well for a considerable time, even rarer!
There were seven Glossy Ibis there, a few Common tern, some Bee-eaters which were calling most of the day, Squacco Heron, lots of egrets, both Little and Cattle, Marsh Harrier, Green, Common and Wood sandpipers and two Great Reed warblers. (As well as Reed Warbler)
Moving to the reserve we found much of the marsh looking like a desert, very dry indeed. One lonely Marbled Duck, lots of Little ringed Plover, more Common terns and many more Glossy Ibis. We estimated the total number of Glossy Ibis at a minimum of seventeen.
I was glad to get back home though, a cold shower and a nice cup of tea. Mike

John Bennett's photos 2 and 3 look very similar to my photo of an immature Sardininian Warbler, which shows the developing red eye-ring.

Attachments

• Sardinian Warbler_8120.jpg
    Sardinian Warbler_8120.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 35
Sylvia warblers , particularly well-worn female and immature birds, (which are both around at the moment), present quite an identification challenge.
I have been sent many photographs in the last few days from visiting birders asking for clarification.
I’m sure there must be some papers written on the subject so I will trawl the Internet in search of such an article.
I will post details if I can find a suitable one.
There are lots of identification pitfalls with this group of warblers so I’m sure it will be helpful to many birders.
Mike

Rare in Switzerland

Even in Switzerland we have Eleonoras Falcons

New bird seen but Old photo from past bird in Switzerland

Hope all is well Mike and you are holding your own!

Mike

Attachments

• 9F39B02E-9CFE-4FCE-BD87-7C5909ABA777.jpeg
    9F39B02E-9CFE-4FCE-BD87-7C5909ABA777.jpeg
    39.1 KB · Views: 26
I’m doing ok Mike thanks, I got the “all clear” on my latest scan a few days ago, so you will have to put up with me for a while longer.
I could just do with an identification expert for all these difficult warblers, I was even sent one photo of a Warbler with bright yellow eyes! That one has really got me going. I hope all is well in Switzerland, Mike

John Bennett, sorry, I overlooked your post. Nice encounter with an owl. Short-eared is unlikely although there has been one hanging around the north for a while this spring and summer.
I think Long-eared owl is much more likely, its about the same size and structure, a bit smaller maybe, but very similar in other ways. Long-eared is mostly nocturnal whereas Short-eared is primarily a daytime hunter. Hope this helps.
As you have seen from other posts, I am waiting for help with some of the Warbler photos. Mike

Hi everyone
I’m currently in Puerto Pollensa for about a week.
I’m hoping to go to Son Real either tomorrow or the day after to look for Balearic warbler. Is this site reliable for it?
Thanks for any response
Josh

Hi everyone
I’m currently in Puerto Pollensa for about a week.
I’m hoping to go to Son Real either tomorrow or the day after to look for Balearic warbler. Is this site reliable for it?
Thanks for any response
Josh

Hi Josh.I had at least 2 lndividual birds ln Boquer Valley on Thursday early morning.They were ln the short vegetation to the Left of the path,before lt heads down the slope to the sea.

Hi Josh. If you walk down to the coastline near the necropolis, there is a viewing platform. Standing on the platform looking out to sea, there is an area of low scrub to the right, not too far away, down a slight dip. This is a good place to look for Balearic Warbler.
Good luck, do let us know. Mike

A visiting birder on Twitter has posted to say that he had a Western Orphean Warbler in his villa garden in Pollenca Old Town last week.

Don't know how rare those are, but I wouldn't think they're common in July!

Hi Luke. Thanks for that. Western Orphean is very rare. There are some records but many turn out to be other species, particularly at this time of the year.
Photos are needed for acceptance of any record. That’s not to say it wasn’t one, the finder may well be a respected birder and the record a genuine one, but it’s very hard to know sometimes, which is why photographic evidence is essential. Mike

Hi Luke. Thanks for that. Western Orphean is very rare. There are some records but many turn out to be other species, particularly at this time of the year.
Photos are needed for acceptance of any record. That’s not to say it wasn’t one, the finder may well be a respected birder and the record a genuine one, but it’s very hard to know sometimes, which is why photographic evidence is essential. Mike

As Luke is probably aware, there’s been a bit of a local debate here in Norfolk on Twitter about photographic evidence for rarities - specifically of honey buzzards recently at a previous breeding site. There have been several recent reports and the local recorder called for photographs. Well, having watched two birds there for c50 minutes with three other very knowledgeable birders but no photographs, my question was whether it was worth submitting a description if it isn’t going to be accepted without a photo (a well known “judge and jury” birder intimated that requiring photographs was the only way to prevent spurious claims). I agree that a photograph will usually clinch ID one way or another, but many valuable records will be lost if people don’t bother to report sightings that can’t be backed up with a photo.

I know where you’re coming from on this Mike, and I entirely accept that with a wide range of capabilities from visiting birders our records will come under heavy scrutiny from localMallorcan birders and rarity committees, it just seems a shame that without photographic backup many records will be summarily dismissed.

But that’s modern-day birding for you I suppose!

Stew

I’m with you all the way Stew!
My good friend and trusted birder submitted a record here which was rejected. He was so angry that he has not submitted a single record since.
So, we need to be careful and use our judgement wisely. The problem is just as you say, lots of records will be lost. Eg, this same birder saw two Lesser whitethroats this spring. I know 100% the records were correct but without photos they would not be accepted and this distorts the status of some species. Lesser whitethroats is still seen as rare here whereas I know for sure that they are much more numerous than their accepted status would suggest. He also saw a Trumpeter finch in summer but when I told some local birders, the first question was “are there any photos?” This is the difficulty because it has become standard practice whereas, with this birder, I would accept his record without question. He is very accomplished and it is a deep insult to suggest he is wrong. He wouldn’t submit the record if he was even slightly unsure. Many people I know have simply stopped submitted their sightings. As they are very good birders, this is a terrible loss for us all. None of these birders even carries a camera.
So just for the record Stew, it’s not where I’m coming from, I don’t agree with it!!
All the best, keep those records coming please, I take them all seriously but as you so rightly say, there is such a wide spectrum of ability out there and it’s so hard for anyone to know.
Who would want to be on a rarities committee? Not me, that’s for sure.
Mike

Last edited:
A Nice if rather hot day at Son Real today.
No Balearic warblers, yet about 10 thekla larks near the necropolis was nice.
Walking towards the visitor centre there were four Two-tailed Pasha butterflies and a hermanns tortoise on the path.
On the way back at the Punta des Patró there was a Turnstone with about thirty kentish plovers.
Back to Boquer Valley to have another try for Balearics tomorrow,
Josh

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back