• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Heron ID - Arlington, Texas (1 Viewer)

tramsey8

I know just enough about birds to sound stupid mos
I somehow spotted this tiny little thing thru some really dense foliage today... I think it's a very young Little Blue Heron. What do y'all say?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 053008 VCDB 059-1.jpg
    053008 VCDB 059-1.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 053008 VCDB 060-1.jpg
    053008 VCDB 060-1.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 053008 VCDB 060-2.jpg
    053008 VCDB 060-2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 80
Definitely agree on Little Blue Heron - though not a very young one - a molting SY (second year; i.e. born spring 2007) bird. Note the patchy blue/gray coming in in spots on the wings/mantle. Strange positioning for the bird to be in.

Definitely agree on Little Blue Heron - though not a very young one - a molting SY (second year; i.e. born spring 2007) bird. Note the patchy blue/gray coming in in spots on the wings/mantle. Strange positioning for the bird to be in.

Thanks Alex!

I see Little Blues every day in my home patch & this one just appeared very small for the species... but focusing thru the dense cover may have messed with my depth perception. It's stance seemed rather "weak" & that pushed me further towards my youngster theory.
At least I got the species right :king:

tramsey,

Just curious. What is your avatar a photo of? I cannot figure it out to my satisfaction. An insect or flower?

Best,
Jim

Isn't it a male American Kestrel with open wings seen from behind?

That is what I thought when I first saw it. But it looks so delicately featured and brightly colored (the tail looks bright orange!) -- almost unreal -- in the photo. The Kestrels I see never look quite that colorful. Maybe it is just seeing it so small, and capturing it with the sunlight hitting it just right.

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks for asking... the color looks a little off because it's a (digital) "watercolor".
That was my very first Kestrel & the bird really hammed it up for the camera for about 10 minutes. I was so excited I couldn't wait to get home & dump the pics. But it was a dark rainy day & the photos didn't turn out well enough to print. The pose was too good to waste so I just kept messing with it until I got something I could look at without crying or throwing my camera :-C

Attachments

• kestrel wc.jpg
    kestrel wc.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 64

Looks like the stance of a bird not feeling well. But, it might be the timing of the photo.

Looks like the stance of a bird not feeling well. But, it might be the timing of the photo.
That is a very odd stance and the bird doesn't look the greatest but I hope it is fine. I, of course, agree with the ID.

I have been seeing a second year Little Blue Heron with its mixed blue/white plumage for a while now in a water retention area outside the parking garage where I work. I should start bringing my camera to get a shot of it. I used to see an adult LBH there frequently but not lately.

Just realized you all were talking about the heron pic - I thought we were talking about the kestrel! No wonder I was confused! 8-P

Just realized you all were talking about the heron pic - I thought we were talking about the kestrel! No wonder I was confused! 8-P

LOL I was getting a little confused myself.

For the record:
The Heron never broke that odd "weak" stance for the 5-6 minutes I observed. It was around noon on a very hot, humid, "dead calm" day.

Yes Alex, the Kestrel pic WAS a very blustery day :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back