• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I never knew... (San Leandro, CA) (1 Viewer)

CalvinFold

...such beautiful birds of prey were just a bicycle ride, and a scope, away!

Granted, it's not not National Geographic quality...but considering my equipment, coastal overcast, and shooting from 128 yards (fence shot) and 330 yards (captured mouse shot), I'm happy. :)

Those are juvenile white-tailed kites, out at Oyster Bay Regional Shoreline. I've been photographing a pair of them for more than 5 weeks, every weekend. Plumage has changed considerably.

Attachments

• 130706_OBRS_Fluffed_15_retouched_Forum.jpg
    130706_OBRS_Fluffed_15_retouched_Forum.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 130704_OBRS_Caught_Me_A_Mouse_retouched_forum.jpg
    130704_OBRS_Caught_Me_A_Mouse_retouched_forum.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 74
Thank you for the compliment. Did you also post these in the gallery? If not you should think about it, more folks will see them there.

Thank you for the compliment. Did you also post these in the gallery? If not you should think about it, more folks will see them there.
I poked around in the gallery and decided my photos were not even close to that standard. A bit like thinking I should be part of National Geographic exhibit. :eek!:

For example, these lovely examples of the same species:

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=463921
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=465021
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=465633

..and so on. :)

Now, I have a couple Monarch Butterfly photos more worth showing-off, but this is a bird forum. ;-p

[EDIT: Just realized there are non-bird photos here. How odd, but, cool. Okay, guess I'll have to dig-up the high-res versions of my two butterfly photos.]

Last edited:
Don't be put off by other peoples pictures. If I have learned anything in my years of semi professional motorsport photography. You never ever can tell what anyone else is going to consider a fantastic photograph, or why they decided it was so great!

Your pics are great, they clearly show your target and there is great action in the mouse shot. Of course there are tricks to help with the sharpness and everything else, but those are learned behaviors and you have a solid foundation to begin to learn to improve your photography.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back