• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

July Moths (1 Viewer)

I've read elsewhere that they are almost certainly the result of an unofficial but deliberate release.

Martin

I've heard the same thing, but the current story is that the release was two years ago: whereas the sightings have been building up for longer than that and, of course, match an increase in sightings all along the South Coast (and on the Isle of Wight). Take your pick.

John

Last edited:
The best of my meagre catch last night, a nice, fresh Campion.

As far as I remember, the pink flush which is often shown by fresh individuals, is usually far more pronounced than it is in the very similar Lychnis.

Attachments

• P7190981.jpg
    P7190981.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 17
A diverse catch last night, I assume mostly in the dry before the rain went through. It was down to spits and spots by the time I got up to do the trap this morning.

54 individuals of 27 species yielded only one NFY: Cloaked Minor (2 individuals). Shuttle-shaped Darts at 16 were streets ahead of any other species. Miller, Tree-lichen Beauty, V-moth, Oak Hook-tip, Green Pug and True Lover's Knot provided other interest. One Elephant only.

John

Andy - a number nice fresh Campion

John - I didn't realise that Tree-lichen Beauty had spread that far. I must dig out the Atlas. Maybe one for my patch at some point....

All the best

Andy - a number nice fresh Campion

John - I didn't realise that Tree-lichen Beauty had spread that far. I must dig out the Atlas. Maybe one for my patch at some point....

All the best

Paul, do you mean Westward? They're certainly moving North, I got the first for Notts two years ago and there was another last year.

Paul, do you mean Westward? They're certainly moving North, I got the first for Notts two years ago and there was another last year.

Yes. I was thinking about it heading west inland. I ticked it on 20th July 2003 at Dungeness and I reckon it was sub 10 records then. It then colonised London really first.

All the best

Two moths here last night, ******* two.

It wasn't exactly superb down here but slightly better than two (around 40), though everything was the usual suspects. You seem to be on a run of bad luck Andy. Perhaps all your neighbours have restaurant style moth traps so nothing is getting through |:(|.

Yes. I was thinking about it heading west inland. I ticked it on 20th July 2003 at Dungeness and I reckon it was sub 10 records then. It then colonised London really first.

All the best

Having now dug out last year's notebook, I ticked Tree-lichen Beauty here in Farnborough last year: but I'd be rather surprised if that was the first wave. They've been here a year plus at least, anyway. I should think over at your place is a dead cert sooner or later Paul. :t:

John

July so far:-

2nd 166 Moths, 53 species. NFY Dot Moth, Least Carpet, Paraswammerdamia albicaptella, Thisanotia chrysonuchella, Endodotricha flammealis and crambus pascuella.

6th 90 Moths, 37 species. Apomyelois bistriatella was NFG.

12th 101 moths, 43 species. Leopard Moth, Brown Tail, Dusky Sallow all NFY. Round-winged Muslin NFG. Pandemis heparana, Agraphila straminella, Acrobasis advenella and Udea prunalis all NFY.

14th 88 Moths 36 species. August Thorn and Pediasia cantaminella NFG. Tinea pellionella NFY.

16th A warm night provided a good catch, 362 Moths, 102 species. Small Rivulet, Campion, Ruby Tiger, White Satin and Frosted Green all NFY. NFG Tree-lichen Beauty, Oak Hook-tip, Cloaked Minor, Kent Black Arches and Marbled Clover. My second Dewicks Plusia of the year too. There were also 10 NFY and 10 NFG micros that I can't be bothered to type now. The first burying beetle of the year was in the bottom of the trap too.
I haven't trapped since but have it set up for tonight.

Cheers Lewis

16th July (Farnborough)
1 x Shuttle shaped Dart
1 x Dark Arches

17th July (Farnborough)
1 x Least Carpet
1 x Dun Bar
1 x Flame
1 x Box Moth
1 x Uncertain/Rustic

18th July (Haslemere)
1 x Dun Bar
1 x August Thorn
1 x Buff Ermine
1 x Scalloped Oak
1 x Copper Underwing
1 x Nut Tree Tussock
2 x Box Moths
1 x Uncertain/Rustic
1 x Unidentified if anyone can help, maybe Dingy Footman?

Attachments

• August Thorn 2.jpg
    August Thorn 2.jpg
    728.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Dun Bar 2.jpg
    Dun Bar 2.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 8
  • Flame.jpg
    Flame.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Nut Tree Tussock.jpg
    Nut Tree Tussock.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Shuttle shaped Dart.jpg
    Shuttle shaped Dart.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 7
Remaining pictures - wondering if the unidentified is a Horse Chestnut?

Attachments

• Copper underwing.jpg
    Copper underwing.jpg
    994.1 KB · Views: 11
  • Unidentified.jpg
    Unidentified.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Cool and clear made things slow, stopped at 00:40. 46 moths of 21 species. Despite the low numbers four new moths for garden - Dark Fruit-tree Tortrix, Brown-line Bright-eye, Cydia splendana and Monochroa palustrellus.
The latter is a very distinct little micro that I liked with its dark streaks and standout black oval & circle.

Only 1 moth in the trap this morning - H and D !
Scalloped Oak, Least Carpet and a very worn Willow Beauty on the outside but that was it. Disappointing.

Cold here too, just 72 moths of 29 species. Nothing new until the last one out, a nice Oak Eggar, new for garden.

Below, Chocolate-tip, Brown-line Bright-eye and Oak Eggar.

Attachments

• P1230420.JPG
    P1230420.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 8
  • P1230421.JPG
    P1230421.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 8
  • P1230453.JPG
    P1230453.JPG
    195 KB · Views: 8
Had a couple of good moths this week with a Hummingbird Hawkmoth feeding in the front garden on Sunday & a couple of Silver-Ys. Also a Least Carpet & yesterday walking back down my road a Jersey Tiger flew out in front of me.

Another disappointing morning; 2 H and D, 2 Shuttle shaped Darts, 1 Riband Wave and 1 Tree lichen Beauty was nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back