• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BF British Year List Rules. (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
Shall we start a separate set of rules for year listing especially for BF. We can all discuss what to allow in the list. I propose we have all the birds listed by BOU as well as many subspecies especially Geese that are so different they merit full recognition. I have probably bit off more than I can chew here but it would be good to have our own set of rules. Basically my point of view is if they are different enough to be recognised or have their own name such as White Wagtail or Siberian Stonechat then they are a SPECIES and count as a tick. Simple as that. If not then why are people sending messages to Birdguides and so on saying they saw 12 White Wagtails in such and such place. If they are not different then why bother going to see them?

Who's for a list of our own? A full list we can see or print off and play by.

Why not just use the UK400 Club List, I am sure Lee Evans wont mind. You will be able to count White Wagtail then plus many others but I am afraid birds in cages can't be counted ( I do hate that phrase "cage birds" no bird is ment to be kept in a cage.)

devon.birder said:
Why not just use the UK400 Club List, I am sure Lee Evans wont mind. You will be able to count White Wagtail then plus many others but I am afraid birds in cages can't be counted ( I do hate that phrase "cage birds" no bird is ment to be kept in a cage.)
That is basically what I think I am playing to. Problem is I am not a subscriber so I don't have access to the list of birds 'allowed'. Can anyone tell us the additional birds to the BOU list that are UK400 permitted?

I agree Lee will probably not mind as it might lead to more subscribers for him.

Sounds good to me and it'll hopefully sort out the questions about what we can and cannot count!

Sorry Dave...you can't count Alice......or COULD YOU if she was an escape??? Mmmmm...perhaps not!?! LOL

GILL

Andrew said:
I propose we have all the birds listed by BOU as well as many subspecies especially Geese that are so different they merit full recognition.
Ah, but who defines "so different"? Dark-bellied and pale bellied Brents are distinctive, but if you count those, what about grey-bellied? And if we agree that "Siberian Chiffchaff" is distinctive (and some would say that's a hell of a big "if"), then you can hardly disallow the Continental races of Coal Tit, Song Thrush and a few other things which are no less (or more) distinctive. The arguments could run for ever! Personally I'm happy to stick to the BOU list (even though I have reservations about some of the recent splits).

Jason

PS Can I count winter- and summer-plumaged Spotshanks as two ticks?

I make up me own list...and Alice is not on it!...honest!!!
There seems to be so many different points of view...that it would be impossible to please all of the folk on here!
The competition for who has seen the most....leaves me snoring...I only want to improve my list...but not at the expense of my enjoyment...or my own enlightenment..

Happy Dave list.

I must admit it strikes me as a bit daft. You end up cheating yourself don't you? When I hit 200 - one day - I want it to really mean 200 and be an achievement (well for me!!)

The idea of counting what you like. White Wag and Pied are the same species aren't they? If I cancount what I like surely I can count escapes? If when I see it I don't know its an escape and correctly id it.......

I have thought about it since then and come up with a brilliant rule. . .

BF Year Listing Rules.

1 - Count what you like!

(PS : I am going back on counting White Wags, never did before. I agree it is desperation!)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back