• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One day in Darwin (1 Viewer)

Rob Williams

Next November I shall be in Darwin for one day, I'm on a cruise. I plan to visit the Botanical Gardens where there is plenty of birdlife I'm told. Any other town-based birding locations that I can visit by taxi?

Many thanks

Rob

Next November I shall be in Darwin for one day, I'm on a cruise. I plan to visit the Botanical Gardens where there is plenty of birdlife I'm told. Any other town-based birding locations that I can visit by taxi? Many thanks, Rob

Rob,
Darwin should have had rain by November, and so Knuckey Lagoon and Howard Springs Nature Park should have water (See Google Maps), but if you have only one day, then a thorough exploration of the Botanic Gardens could easily take all the time you have available. Perhaps if any Darwinites see your post, they can give you up-to-date information, but also trawl the Internet for day-to-day Australian sightings and birding websites.

If your pockets are deep, about 65km away is Fogg Dam, which would be good if it's had a fair amount of rain, but then a day rental vehicle fitted with satnav might be cheaper...
MJB

I lived in Darwin a few years ago so my info is not particularly up to date

Birdlife was amazing everywhere!

I seem to remember the area around the Royal Darwin Hospital up to Lee Point was good - there are some footpaths.

Day trip out of Darwin - Fogg Dam definitely worth a visit for all kinds of wildlife watching. There was a big croc that lived in the pool by the observation point -- you could hire a car for the day would be worth it.

Hi Rob.

The botanical gardens and east point would be two great spots to go to. I was up in Darwin last month and there were lots of good birds about, Rufous owl and Oriental cuckoo were the highlights of the botanical gardens and the east point area is a great spot for Rainbow pitta, lots of shorebirds and other typical top end woodland birds. Let me know if you need any more specific info.

Rob

Hi Rob.

The botanical gardens and east point would be two great spots to go to. I was up in Darwin last month and there were lots of good birds about, Rufous owl and Oriental cuckoo were the highlights of the botanical gardens and the east point area is a great spot for Rainbow pitta, lots of shorebirds and other typical top end woodland birds. Let me know if you need any more specific info.

Rob

Thanks Rob, sorry late replying, just back from holiday. That's great info, will look at a taxi to get to East Point.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back