• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with bird ID (1 Viewer)

rodrigosacic

Hi everyone,

I work as a sound editor for film and tv. Today I came across with this recording of a bird. I like the sound, but the recording is terrible. So I need to identificate the bird in order to search for new better sounds of it. Could you help me with this? The sound is attached below. Thank you in advance

Attachments

• PASSARO.mp3
    424.8 KB · Views: 58
Welcome to BirdForum. Can you say anything more about the recording and whether any information was provided with it e.g. the approximate location?

Welcome to BirdForum. Can you say anything more about the recording and whether any information was provided with it e.g. the approximate location?

Thank you Andrew!

That's a sound that came from the picture editor. The film in which it is used takes place in Brazil, but I can't confirm that the bird recording is from there as well.

@rodrigosasic

The xeno-canto.org site might be a good place to search for better recordings of Eastern Whip-poor-will (and many other bird sounds).

https://www.xeno-canto.org/species/Antrostomus-vociferus

Has over 80 foreground recordings of the species of varying length and quality. Details of the people who made the recordings are shown so you could contact the owners should you need too for accreditation etc.

It is a cool sounding bird, but if you are doing sound for a film set in Brazil you might want to choose something else; Eastern Whip-poor-will does not occur there.

Sounds like an Eastern Whip-poor-will.

Thank you all for answering. I was kind of disappointed to know this isn't a native specie in Brazil. I'll try to offer another option to the film director that would be more accurate. Maybe a Piha which isn't much very far away in range..

Nonetheless thank you.

Thank you all for answering. I was kind of disappointed to know this isn't a native specie in Brazil. I'll try to offer another option to the film director that would be more accurate. Maybe a Piha which isn't much very far away in range..

Nonetheless thank you.

There are lots of amazing bird sounds from Brazil, including many species of nightjar that are related to the Whip-poor-will. If you want a night bird, some of the owls make great sounds. Spectacled or Tawny-browed Owls are particularly good.
https://www.xeno-canto.org/sounds/uploaded/FNIOJOZADD/XC415475-SpectacledOwl_Brazil_032017_song.mp3

There are lots of amazing bird sounds from Brazil, including many species of nightjar that are related to the Whip-poor-will. If you want a night bird, some of the owls make great sounds. Spectacled or Tawny-browed Owls are particularly good.
https://www.xeno-canto.org/sounds/uploaded/FNIOJOZADD/XC415475-SpectacledOwl_Brazil_032017_song.mp3

Thank you for the suggestions, Andrew. If I have the occasion, I'll also try a common potoo in the film. I think it qualifies as a nightjar and it sounds quite amazing as well.

Best,
Rodrigo

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back