• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chough, best places to see. (1 Viewer)

The Raptor

Bristol City's No.1 Fan!
I have never yet managed to see a chough & wondered where the best places are to see them. I believe Cornwall & Wales is probably the nearest areas for me to see them but do anyone know different. Rod.

Last edited:
The Raptor said:
I have never yet managed to see a chough & wondered where the best places are see them. I believe Cornwall & Wales is probably the nearest areas for me to see them but do anyone know different. Rod.
From Bristol, the nearest area with a sizeable chough population is Pembrokeshire. Make sure that the weather makes the journey worth it, though! I went there (via Bristol, as it happened) in February about 8 years ago. There were gales and, for part of my 3 day visit, quite a lot of rain. However, I did not see or hear any choughs.
The largest population of choughs per unit area in NW Europe is in the Isle of Man. I have read that there are flights from Bristol to here now, although they are not cheap, I admit! I am sure that people visiting the Isle of Man would find it easier to see choughs than I did on my trip to Goodwick and St Davids, although I was just unlucky!

A shorter distance from Bristol: There is a VERY small population of Choughs that can sometimes be seen on the "Heritage Coast" south west of Cardiff. They could be anywhere from Ogmore in the west, to St Donats (possibly) in the east. Walking west from the car park at Nash Point sometimes works.

Tim Hall said:
A shorter distance from Bristol: There is a VERY small population of Choughs that can sometimes be seen on the "Heritage Coast" south west of Cardiff. They could be anywhere from Ogmore in the west, to St Donats (possibly) in the east. Walking west from the car park at Nash Point sometimes works.
Is that just one pair? Do they wander much? I have never been there, so I don't know how far apart are Ogmore and St Donats!
Thanks.

There is a good head of chough on the Pembrokeshire coast at Marloes. I have watched them for the last couple of years while on vacation. For as much as guarantees can be given in birding, you can be sure of seeing them there.

Probably not many more than one pair, and they range over at least 5 miles, some of which has no public access, so not easy....

There is usually a pair to be seen on the south of the Gower Peninsula, somewhere between Pennard Cliffs and Three Cliffs Bay - a distance of about a mile. On a couple of occasions, I have seen flocks of ten or so there. Walk along the cliff edge, and chances are one or two will fly past sooner or later - invariably when you are looking in the other direction! Park in the National Trust car park at Pennard Cliffs, and walk westwards along the cliff path. Good luck if you go!

I'd always encourage people to go to Islay to see Choughs, even though for most people it's hard to get to. It has the advantage of also having thousands of geese, seabirds, wildfowl, waders, Golden Eagles, Hen Harriers, Otters, seals, dolphins and (not forgetting) 7 distilleries. Quite a lot of rarities turn up as well (even though not many people are looking).

The Raptor said:
I have never yet managed to see a chough & wondered where the best places are see them. I believe Cornwall & Wales is probably the nearest areas for me to see them but do anyone know different. Rod.

If you walk along the cliffs from New Quay in West Wales to Cwmtyddi you are sure to see loads of Choughs. I've spent many a time sitting and watching them from just a few feet away. Also Peregrine, Red Kite, Buzzard and if you look down to the sea, Dolphins and Seals.

I'm visiting Mid Wales next year, New Quay is not that far away, so I will make a day of it there. Many thanks Milvus for the information, I'm also a great fan of the raptors, so it will be a very interesting day. Thanks everyone. Rod.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back