• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monoculars Zeiss (1 Viewer)

Chabi

Hi:

My father has problem in one eye, and his vision is very bad with it eye. Consequently, he doesn´t like binoculars, he says that his vision with them is bad. What about monocular Zeiss? Are good for birding?

Regards

Chabi,

I have the 6x18 monocular, which is also usable as a magnifier but I would not consider it or the 8x20 to be suitable for birding. Being so light, they are difficult to hold steady and have rather narrow fields of view.

My suggestion would be the Fujinon 7x50 or 10x50 FMT-SX monoculars.
These are sold as finders for astronomical telescopes and are half the military spec. waterproof porro prism binoculars, which enjoy a reputation for unsurpassed optical quality. Unfortunately the binoculars are only available with individual focus, so are unsuitable for birding but this, of course, is not an issue with a monocular.

See this link for tests of the binoculars:-
http://www.holgermerlitz.de/

Regards,

John

Chabi said:
Hi:

My father has problem in one eye, and his vision is very bad with it eye. Consequently, he doesn´t like binoculars, he says that his vision with them is bad. What about monocular Zeiss? Are good for birding?

Regards

Hello Chabi,

The Zeiss 8x30 and 8x30B, manufactured by Zeiss Oberkochen (West Germany) in the fifties and sixties are superb binoculars, very sharp and bright and still capable of holding their own in todays high end competition. As Zeiss made a monocular version too, to be used as a lens for their Contaflex camera, I can imagine you are considering these. They are offered on eBay quite regularly in excellent condition, and quite cheap too.
BUT! A monocular, even the optically best, has one big disadvantage: you never can hold it as steady as a binocular. If I lost sight in one eye myself I'm sure I would never use one. Instead I would block one barrel (no light there) and use only one half of the binocular.
I think you could turn the disadvantage of the lost eyesight in one eye into an advantage here by using a binocular with individual focussing (see the others post too). Those military spec binoculars are usually very, very sharp, right to the very edges, and they are often optically corrected for a superb flat field. The Fujinons are good suggestions but if you want a cheaper solution I would suggest the Russian BPO 7x30. I use one of these myself quite often, in fact it's one of my favorites (among Leica Ultravid, Zeiss 7x42 B/GAT*P* to choose from). These BPO's are infamous for their yellow colour cast but if you can live with that (I certainly can, even more so, I even like it, as I feel it's often more natural than the exaggerated brightness in much of the optics of today!) you might present yourself with a birding binocular with very special qualities: unsurpassed edge to edge sharpness, unusual large field of view (150/1000 m), superb contrast and resolution.
After I gold hold of one of these instruments a year ago, and learned I loved the view so much, I've made a few modifications. In fact I custom-made one out of two! Now it fits my face and eyes to perfection, with the accommodation to eye relief exactly right (just try to find these qualities in a ready-made binocular, it might take you years, you might never even find the right one!).
The bottom line here is that, if you are interested, I could supply you with a few hints and tips with respect to the BPO 7x30. I could also supply you with the 'ripped off' BPO that I have here - it's still usable, certainly for one-eyed viewing. You simply could try it out, form your opinion, keep it or return it to me, whatever. Just mail me.

cheers,

Renze de Vries

Last edited:
Renze de Vries said:
Hello Chabi,

The Zeiss 8x30 and 8x30B, manufactured by Zeiss Oberkochen (West Germany) in the fifties and sixties are superb binoculars, very sharp and bright and still capable of holding their own in todays high end competition. As Zeiss made a monocular version too, to be used as a lens for their Contaflex camera, I can imagine you are considering these. They are offered on eBay quite regularly in excellent condition, and quite cheap too.
BUT! A monocular, even the optically best, has one big disadvantage: you never can hold it as steady as a binocular. If I lost sight in one eye myself I'm sure I would never use one. Instead I would block one barrel (no light there) and use only one half of the binocular.
I think you could turn the disadvantage of the lost eyesight in one eye into an advantage here by using a binocular with individual focussing (see the others post too). Those military spec binoculars are usually very, very sharp, right to the very edges, and they are often optically corrected for a superb flat field. The Fujinons are good suggestions but if you want a cheaper solution I would suggest the Russian BPO 7x30. I use one of these myself quite often, in fact it's one of my favorites (among Leica Ultravid, Zeiss 7x42 B/GAT*P* to choose from). These BPO's are infamous for their yellow colour cast but if you can live with that (I certainly can, even more so, I even like it, as I feel it's often more natural than the exaggerated brightness in much of the optics of today!) you might present yourself with a birding binocular with very special qualities: unsurpassed edge to edge sharpness, unusual large field of view (150/1000 m), superb contrast and resolution.
After I gold hold of one of these instruments a year ago, and learned I loved the view so much, I've made a few modifications. In fact I custom-made one out of two! Now it fits my face and eyes to perfection, with the accommodation to eye relief exactly right (just try to find these qualities in a ready-made binocular, it might take you years, you might never even find the right one!).
The bottom line here is that, if you are interested, I could supply you with a few hints and tips with respect to the BPO 7x30. I could also supply you with the 'ripped off' BPO that I have here - it's still usable, certainly for one-eyed viewing. You simply could try it out, form your opinion, keep it or return it to me, whatever. Just mail me.

cheers,

Renze de Vries

Renze,

Do you have any knowledge/experience with the BPC5 8x30 Russian binocs? I'm thinking of getting one of these with a reticle for rangefinding. Is the yellow cast obvious all the time, or do you adapt to it?

If the 7x30 is markedly different, I'd consider that — but I like the larger image size of an 8x.

Regards,
Elkcub

elkcub said:
BPC5 8x30 Russian binocs? Is the yellow cast obvious all the time, or do you adapt to it?
Elkcub

I never did. I had one bought for about $5 in Siberia, and i tried for weeks to get used to the dreadful yellow cast. It did not have the reticle, but it was so yellow that i hated it and replaced it (with a bottle of good vodka) as soon as i had the chance.
If you want it for hunting or target shooting, it might work, though. The ones sold by Kalinka may not be quite so yellow, but i am sure that they still are as yellow as hell. If you get a good sample, they are worth $70.

Chabi said:
Hi:

Regards

You have very good advice here. Monoculars can't be held steady, and the tiny one you are talking about is for watching copulating beetles, not birds.
A pair of binos with individual focus might work the best, even if one eye does not see very well.

elkcub said:
Renze,

Do you have any knowledge/experience with the BPC5 8x30 Russian binocs? I'm thinking of getting one of these with a reticle for rangefinding. Is the yellow cast obvious all the time, or do you adapt to it?

If the 7x30 is markedly different, I'd consider that — but I like the larger image size of an 8x.

Regards,
Elkcub

Hi Elk,

Yes, I once bought one and it appeared to be very bad: lots of light leaking and ghost images (I saw as much of the inside of the binocular as of the 'outside') and far too dim to be usefull for birding. Took it out into the field to study hobbies catching dragon-flies, they were far away and there were lots of swifts around too. Couldn't make out one species from the other, thought I went crazy. This binocular was the civilian version, with no reticule, so the military one could be better, but I wouldn't bet on that. So I totally agree with Otto on this.
The BPO 7x30 is a different ballgame altogether. The yellow cast is even heavier (this could be the yellowest binocular ever produced), but sharpness and contrast are so extremely good it really compensates for that. Don't you think your birds will turn yellow, no way! Unlike the 8x30 mentioned above you will get used to the BPO's colour bias very quickly, within minutes or even seconds. And it's all very natural, at least to me. Think of early morning light, when the sun is not up yet but announcing itself already by spreading this beautiful soft, warm shroud of yellow over the surroundings - that's about it. In the last couple of days I used some Swift binoculars, my own 7x35 Sportstar (an amazing piece of Japanese optical engineering BTW) and an 8.5x44 Audubon. The Swift tone colour (white!) is exactly the opposite of the BPO's and to my taste it's in no way better, just different.
If you ever consider buying a BPO (for further information see the websites of Binofan and Holger Merlitz) try to find the older version, made before 1995. These come with adjustable eyecups, just what you need for the recommended DIY modification. Also, get rid of the clumsy strap and rainguard immediately and buy yourself a Zeiss rainguard and (Neoprene) strap. They will fit beautifully and you will never complain about the weight of the BPO.

cheers,

Renze

Last edited:
Otto & Renze,

Thank you both. I'll be very careful in buying a BPO right now. However, your comments about adapting (or not adapting) to the yellow cast is my kind of thing. In particular, Renze, you also mentioned "...as I feel it's often more natural than the exaggerated brightness in much of the optics of today!" This is a topic of much interest, since I have similar reactions to the newest offerings, but perhaps that's best for a different thread.

Chabi, I have a friend who's blind in one eye. He prefers using 6x30 binoculars for stability, as others have mentioned, but also their depth of focus and wider field. I suspect he's learned to make better use of perspective and contrast cues than I have.

Elkcub

elkcub said:
Otto & Renze,

Thank you both. I'll be very careful in buying a BPO right now.
Elkcub

Elk,

The pre-1995 BPO 7 x 30 is a very interesting binocular, with internally focusing eyepieces, and remarkable sharpness. The strong yellow cast greatly improves night images (moonlight and worse), and is very effective in heavy overcast conditions, functioning much like yellow shooting glasses. My guess is that it was to address precisely these surveillance and battlefield conditions that a yellow element was used in the ocular design in the first place. The binocular, however, is simply not suited to birdwatching, and will disappoint if used for that purpose. It's also surprisingly big for a 7 x 30, but would probably make a great hunting glass. I use mine chiefly for astronomy.

Last edited:
Chartwell,

I wouldn't recommend the KOMZ BPO 7x30 for birdwatching, but only because of the individual focussing. In birding one changes focus a lot, from a few meters to infinity and back, and because one needs to keep both eyes equally sharp individual focus will cause too much strain on the eyes. I never take my BPO along while birding in the woods, too much headache! But as this applies only to people with two good eyes, I think individual focussing should be considered very seriously by all others. That's why I mentioned (and offered) my superfluous BPO to Chabi. It's out of (vertical) collimation but this should cause no problem to the one-eyed viewer.

BTW, as I like to discuss the BPO 7x30 (and all other binoculars with individual foussing) a bit more, I think it's best to start a new thread. Some conclusions and insights could be usefull for binoculars in general. And Elkcub, feel free to take up the tonecolour issue there too.

regards,

Renze

Renze de Vries said:

Renze,

I fully agree with you. When I in the early 90's bought a Zeiss Classic monocular I chose the 6x20 instead of the 8x20. That was for me the right choice. (I also got better brightness).
I wouldn't like to have 8 or more power in a monocular because of the more shakings at a monocular than a binocular. Actually I have squinting eyes and never experience stereoscopic viewing. I always use my left eye and in practice a binocular for me works as a monocular but with the holding advantage of a binocular.

Patric

Bpo

I ordered a 7x30 BPO about 2 weeks ago and it has just arrived. What a brilliant binocular. I have been checking it out all evening. It is now 10.30pm, dark and the binocular is great !!!! Tomorrow it is getting the full works on my test equipment at work. I know the results will be surprising for a cheap Russian binocular.

Gary Hawkins said:
I ordered a 7x30 BPO about 2 weeks ago and it has just arrived. What a brilliant binocular. I have been checking it out all evening. It is now 10.30pm, dark and the binocular is great !!!! Tomorrow it is getting the full works on my test equipment at work. I know the results will be surprising for a cheap Russian binocular.

Gary,

I read the technical specs about it. It's stated as having "Variable eye relief distance", I've never heard about that, do they simply mean the rubber cups are foldable? That is not the same as variable eye relief, however.

Patric

Swedpat said:
Gary,

I read the technical specs about it. It's stated as having "Variable eye relief distance", I've never heard about that, do they simply mean the rubber cups are foldable? That is not the same as variable eye relief, however.

Patric

Patric, early BPO's (pre 1995 ish) had screw out eyecups which can be set at different positions and which I presume is the variable eye relief. The latest version has a rubber eyecup which can be folded for spectacle wearers. Gary.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back