• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2018 (2 Viewers)

I've just had a look at the distribution map for this species in the Atlas of the Butterflies of the Iberian Peninsula and Balearic Islands (Lepidoptera: Papilionoidea & Hesperioidea) and there are a few (15) records from southern Spain - but none from the Balearic Islands.
I'll drop a friend an email to see if he might know of any.
I've also found a blog page that records seeing Peacock butterfly in s'Albufera in November 2002. It's written by someone who worked with us for a short time in the Museum so they should also know what they were looking at. I'll see if I can find an email for him.
Martin

Took friends back to the Airport and a side trip to Cuidad Jardin.
Birds seen on route and by the coast included:
Kestrels (4), Red Kites (3), Booted Eagle, Audouin Gulls(10), Little Egrets, Cattle Egrets (12), Sandwch tern and Common Sandpiper.

No signs of turnstones, oystercatcher and purple sandpiper!

Last edited:
Right now a big flock of House and Crag Martins in the rain.
Enjoying it together with Mike and Susan. First house martins of the year for us.
;)

Well done Christina for staging the great welcolme!
In addition to the wonderful sight, two barn swallows and maybe a red rumped swallow flypast seen.

Well done Christina for staging the great welcolme!
In addition to the wonderful sight, two barn swallows and maybe a red rumped swallow flypast seen.

Crikey! Hope they’re not in too much of a hurry to get to the UK - it’s a bit chilly round these parts!

Hi guys,
Also had great views of the Accentor at the Mirador part way too formentor and Black Redstart, Xbills.
Just before dark at Tucan, lots of Crag Martin's feeding just above the water with Red rumped Swallow, 2 House Martins and a Swift.
Looked like the local TV were there filming /Interviews hope it was all good, track in a terrible state.
S. G.

Philip has got stuck in having just arrived. He has seen House Martin, Crag Martin, Sand Martin, Barn Swallow, Red-rumped swallow and both Pallid and Common swift.
Also a Garganey at s’Albufera.
Amongst all the thousands of White wagtails he has seen a Pied wagtail. I too have seen Pied here, a male which was in Porto Petro for a few weeks many years ago. I didn’t know they were rare then, otherwise I would have photographed it.
I have read and excellent paper on the identification pitfalls between White and Pied, I will try to find it.
Mike

Last edited:
We went to Orient today but a brisk walk is not the best way to see birds. I managed to see a fine Mistle Thrush near the entrance, lots of Chaffinch but sadly no Brambling nor Hawfinch. I also watched the darkest Booted Eagle I have ever seen soaring above the valley, it was burnt chocolate brown, very unusual.
It’s a beautiful walk and a great place for migrants which seem to pass along the valley at the side of the Tramuntana mountains as Pep suggested. Mike

Also at salbufera today, 2 male Black Redstarts, water Pipit at Peps dog house, Yellow wagtail Flava, Little Stint, spotted reds, Redshank, Greenshanks and Reed Bunting.
S. G.

About to leave this great Island..Sigh! Many thanks to Mike, Kevin, Pep, Christina, Juanjo, Mika etc etc for keeping this island at the front of the birding community.
A Sunday afternoon walk around Calle Can Cuarassa and Albuferata gives time for reflection.
Birds seen included: Ospreys (2), Ravens, Black winged Stilts, Greenshank, Redshank, Snipes(3), Crag Martins, Barn swallows(3), Great and Little Egrets, Crossbills, Cett and Fantailed Warblers.
No sigh of yellow wagtails but heard first Wryneck.
Found this dead raptor..any guess?

Attachments

• 74CA8ADB-DFA3-4B4B-AF9B-F64928CBBFC8.jpg
    74CA8ADB-DFA3-4B4B-AF9B-F64928CBBFC8.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 86178D6D-07BE-4697-BA5E-78898EF40130.jpeg
    86178D6D-07BE-4697-BA5E-78898EF40130.jpeg
    576.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
About to leave this great Island..Sigh! Many thanks to Mike, Kevin, Pep, Christina, Juanjo, Mika etc etc for keeping this island at the front of the birding community.
A Sunday afternoon walk around Calle Can Cuarassa and Albuferata gives time for reflection.
Birds seen included: Ospreys (2), Ravens, Black winged Stilts, Greenshank, Redshank, Snipes(3), Crag Martins, Barn swallows(3), Great and Little Egrets, Crossbills, Cett and Fantailed Warblers.
No sigh of yellow wagtails but heard first Wryneck.
Found this dead raptor..any guess?

Safe journey Mike. Hope to see you both next time.

A huge raft of mixed shearwaters was there to greet me this afternoon at my local lighthouse, just ten minutes from my house. I feel very lucky sometimes.
They were feeding frantically on small fish just beneath the surface. It’s the closest I have ever been to Shearwaters without being on a boat, they were just feet away.
When they left the scene, I watched the usual evening stream of birds going down the east coast and over to Cabrera, as they do every evening. Expect thousands per hour, it’s really very good. Mike

Super-close views of a stooping Booted Eagle this morning which swooped in on a resting Stone Curlew. An amazing sight, the choice of prey surprised me but luckily, the Stone Curlew survived and off flew the eagle, sulking all the way. Mike

Nine Common swift back in my home town tonight, inspecting their usual nest sites. They are super-early despite the cold winds. Always a great day when they return. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back