• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory FL or T*FL-is there a difference? (1 Viewer)

WeekendBirder

I am considering buying the Zeiss Victory FL 8x42 or 10x42 for a fairly cheap price (~$1265) but they are advertised as "FL" instead of "T*FL." Another thread indicated that US sellers have simply dropped the "T*" from the name (i.e., the two models are identical) but is it possible that the FL doesn't have the T* multi-coating to reduce reflection? I would greatly appreciate comments on this.

Also, perhaps I am a naive victim of the recent LivingBird review, but for their high marks on the Zeiss FLs and because of the cheap price at which I can purchase them, this Zeiss series is currently the front runner for me. Admittedly, I have yet to test drive other makes and models and plan to do so, but do you have any specific recommendations on other bins. I am fortunate to still own my Swarovski SLC 7x42 but want to purchase a bin for my girlfriend that has a wide field of view and good image quality from edge-to-edge. The Nikon LX series is also affordable and was touted by others as having the above-mentioned characters. Please provide any useful comments to my question and bin needs. Thanks a bunch.

FL means that the glass has floruide in it. T* is the multicoated lenses. P* is phase correcting coatings that are applied to the prisms.

The Victory FL has all three, even though no mention of the P* coatings are made, the Victory FLs still have both the T*P* coatings of all earlier models. The improvement is with the Floruite glass. At least that's what the Zeiss press release states:

Original Press Release on the Zeiss Victory FL series:

http://www.zeiss.com/41256AFB004A4E...EDA4480C3FE6DC3885256F1800719D2F?OpenDocument

Definition of FL:

http://www.zeiss.com/41256AFB004A4E...9603EE360EAB2D8E85256F8E0076C221?OpenDocument

*corrected links

Last edited:
Hi Xenophobe,

Thanks for your quick response but based on the Zeiss press release on 3-18-05, they actually don't specify whether all FLs are indeed multi-coated. They only state "This glass (FL) in conjunction with the newly designed optical systems (ZEISS AOS) and adapted T* multi-coating achieve an image quality that has astonished even the experts."

I'd be shocked if Zeiss actually offered seperate FL and T*FL makes. However, my original post was written because all but one company advertises the Victory series as T*FL and the other that has it listed as FL has a notably reduced price and this is the one from which I may purchase it.

I'm almost positive you're correct but just wanted to check before I fork out a lot of money for a product that doesn't have what I think it has. Thanks for the info though.

WeekendBirder said:
I am considering buying the Zeiss Victory FL 8x42 or 10x42 for a fairly cheap price (~$1265) but they are advertised as "FL" instead of "T*FL." Another thread indicated that US sellers have simply dropped the "T*" from the name (i.e., the two models are identical) but is it possible that the FL doesn't have the T* multi-coating to reduce reflection? I would greatly appreciate comments on this.

Also, perhaps I am a naive victim of the recent LivingBird review, but for their high marks on the Zeiss FLs and because of the cheap price at which I can purchase them, this Zeiss series is currently the front runner for me. Admittedly, I have yet to test drive other makes and models and plan to do so, but do you have any specific recommendations on other bins. I am fortunate to still own my Swarovski SLC 7x42 but want to purchase a bin for my girlfriend that has a wide field of view and good image quality from edge-to-edge. The Nikon LX series is also affordable and was touted by others as having the above-mentioned characters. Please provide any useful comments to my question and bin needs. Thanks a bunch.

The Nikon LX's will have the best edge-to-edge quality of the bunch. Nikon's 8X32 LX also has a great FOV.

John

WeekendBirder said:
Hi Xenophobe,

Thanks for your quick response but based on the Zeiss press release on 3-18-05, they actually don't specify whether all FLs are indeed multi-coated.

Perhaps you should read the sentence you quoted again....

They only state "This glass (FL) in conjunction with the newly designed optical systems (ZEISS AOS) and adapted T* multi-coating achieve an image quality that has astonished even the experts."

Hope that helps. :t:

I started this fairly uninteresting thread and feel compelled to end it. Thanks Pinewood for offering the painfully obvious, simple solution - I called Zeiss and indeed all advertised Victory FLs are coated with T* multi-coating. Xenophobia, in defense of my intellectual honor, Zeiss's press release quote is not 100% affirmation that all FLs have the coating. Stating "This glass ... in conjunction with adapted T* multi-coating" does not indicate that all of their FLs have it. They should have simply said "All of our FLs have T* multi-coating applied to FL glass." It's within the realm of possibility that prototypes of the FL existed that didn't have this treatment? Moreover, my modest skepticism arose because the company with the cheapest price out there ($150 cheaper than next cheapest offer) was the one that offered it as FL - ALL other companies offer it as T*FL. Thanks for the information though and as suspected, you were correct.

WeekendBirder: Zeiss has been inconsistent in the marketing of this bin in the US. First it was "Victory FL," then it appeared that they were suppressing the "Victory" name and just calling it "T* FL" without the "Victory," and now it seems to be "Victory FL" again. The handling of the "T*" part has varied, too. I think part of the problem you're encountering it is that the dealers aren't sure what to call it.

Curtis Croulet said:
WeekendBirder: Zeiss has been inconsistent in the marketing of this bin in the US. First it was "Victory FL," then it appeared that they were suppressing the "Victory" name and just calling it "T* FL" without the "Victory," and now it seems to be "Victory FL" again. The handling of the "T*" part has varied, too. I think part of the problem you're encountering it is that the dealers aren't sure what to call it.

Another possibility I can see would be that these FLs (without the T* designation) are grey-market imports. As far as I know, the new Zeiss binoculars are always advertised without the T* in Europe. Things just get too complicated with all that lettering. And Zeiss would be pretty stupid if they even considered issueing their top-of-the-line model without their top-of-the-line coating. That just would not make sense.

Get the Zeiss FL.

Swissboy said:
Another possibility I can see would be that these FLs (without the T* designation) are grey-market imports. As far as I know, the new Zeiss binoculars are always advertised without the T* in Europe. Things just get too complicated with all that lettering. And Zeiss would be pretty stupid if they even considered issueing their top-of-the-line model without their top-of-the-line coating. That just would not make sense.

All the Zeiss FL's are the same, as far as, the coatings. I just got a pair of 10x42 FL Zeiss off E-bay for $900.00 and they are brand new! I just got them yesterday. They are not grey market because I already registered the warranty. The guy had bought them at Europtics. They are "awesome" binoculars! I will still keep my Swarovski EL's 8x32 but the Zeiss are incredibly bright and clear. Light for their size and excellent ergonomics. No problem with the diopter and the focus is very smooth. The FL series are the best binoculars right now without a doubt.

Dennis

WeekendBirder said:
Xenophobia, in defense of my intellectual honor, Zeiss's press release quote is not 100% affirmation that all FLs have the coating. Stating "This glass ... in conjunction with adapted T* multi-coating" does not indicate that all of their FLs have it. They should have simply said "All of our FLs have T* multi-coating applied to FL glass."

Actually, it is 100% confirming. Perhaps the composition threw you off, but it's pretty clearly stated.

"in conjunction with" = +
"and" = +
"achieve" = equals =

"This glass (FL) + the newly designed optical systems (ZEISS AOS) + adapted T* multi-coating = an image quality that has astonished even the experts."

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back