• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Gitzo Tripod and Head (1 Viewer)

Adey Baker

After yet another Velbon tripod has come close to being life-expired I've decided to look around for a higher quality model to replace it (when funds allow!).

I've decided to get a Gitzo carbon fibre 'pod and I've more or less homed-in on the the G1227 model - any comments on the 'Rapid' versus 'Geared' versions would be appreciated.

But I'm a bit unsure whether a three-way head, such as the G1171/1371(or QR versions) or a fluid head such as the G2380 would be most suitable.

It will be used for both telescope-viewing and photography. I have a DSLR with 400mm F5.6 lens and don't anticipate getting anything much heavier - yet!

Any comments from anyone using any of the above or similar would be greatly appreciated before I shell-out over £400!

TIA

Adey

I don't think you'll ever regret buying a Gitzo, Adey... had my 1548 for a few weeks now and it's a revelation in stability and build quality.
I'm not familiar with all the heads but I see ffordes have a used 2380 head and a used 1171.
cheers,
Andy

Love my 1227. Use it with an ATS 80mm. I did not like the 2380 head. The friction adjustments were pretty bad IMO. You may want to look at the Bogen 501.

Thanks, guys.

That's one for the 2380 and one against, then!

I've never used a fluid head before so I'm a bit in the dark about their merits/demerits so it's very interesting to get experienced users' opinions.

Adey Baker said:
Thanks, guys.

That's one for the 2380 and one against, then!

I've never used a fluid head before so I'm a bit in the dark about their merits/demerits so it's very interesting to get experienced users' opinions.
I've used the 2380 fluide briefly but it seemed excellent, I think this is the one Paul Hackett uses and he prefers it to the Manfrotto 501.

Certainly for photographing active birds, a fluid will be the type to get... point and shoot, rather than point, lock-up and then shoot. They are comparitively heavy, so that may be something to consider.

I had the impression that you liked Macro photography, so wondered if a 2-way head may be a problem with any lenses without a tripod collar.

cheers,
Andy

Andy Bright said:
I've used the 2380 fluide briefly but it seemed excellent, I think this is the one Paul Hackett uses and he prefers it to the Manfrotto 501.

Certainly for photographing active birds, a fluid will be the type to get... point and shoot, rather than point, lock-up and then shoot. They are comparitively heavy, so that may be something to consider.

I had the impression that you liked Macro photography, so wondered if a 2-way head may be a problem with any lenses without a tripod collar.

cheers,
Andy
Thanks, Andy

The weight might not be too much of a problem - I tend to carry my Leica scope mounted on the tripod, but if I choose a quick-release version then I could carry them seperately to spread the load (and the 1227 'legs' are quite light, as well, on their own)

Most of my macro shots are of dragonflies and butterflies which are usually around in good light (!) so I'm hoping I won't need to use the tripod for them. The thought of having to get down low with one of the 'Explorer' or Benbo-type tripods is enough to put me off for life!

I use the Gitzo 2380 and IMHO it is the most steady, smooth and least vibration prone fluid head for scopes without spending $500+ on a professional video head. The drag controls aren't great and the pan handle is a little long in my opinion but certainly as good as anything I have seen from Manfrotto

I wrote a review of this head with Berlebach tripod a few months ago but the thread seems to have disappeared from the birdforum archives.

Brendan

Last edited:
birderk said:
I wrote a review of this head with Berlebach tripod a few months ago but the thread seems to have disappeared from the birdforum archives.

Brendan
Where abouts did you originally post this, Brendan? All I can think of, is that it was lost in the big birdforum crash earlier in the year.

cheers,
Andy

Adey

Just my 2p worth but I own a 400mm f5.6 lens & find the Manfrotto 501 head more than adequate,whether you would be able to mount this head on a set of Gitzo legs I don`t know though,it just might save you a bit of money.

Cheers Steve.

I'd agree that the Manfrotto 501 head is well worth a look, it's rock solid, with very smooth movement. I've use it with both a scope and a camera with long lens and it's performed very well.

I'm fairly sure you'd be able to put a Manfrotto head onto Gitzo legs, I think there is some connection between the two companies. I was looking at a Gitzo head the other day (don't know the nummber) and it look very similar to the equivilent Manfrotto, some parts looked identical. When I looked at the box I found that it had both Gitzo and Manfrotto branding on it...

Last edited:
There's no problem attaching a Manfrotto head to a Gitzo legset, they both use 3/8ths. I use the Manfrotto 501 and 393 on my Gitzo.
Yep, Gitzo and Manfrotto share the same parent company...but they are quite seperate companies in many ways.
Have Warehouse Ex still got that 501 mail order return?

cheers,
Andy

Well, I'll put the 501 on my short-list - haven't got funds available yet, so I can't jump in for a bargain at the mo!

I was basically sounding out ideas on the relative merits of the fluid versus pan/tilt type heads - users' personal experiences are always better than magazine-type test reports

Brendan's review and the whole very informative exchange before he bought his rig were indeed lost in the great crash of 2005.

Both the Gitzo 2380 and the Manfrotto 501 are good heads. I like (and use) the Gitzo for its simple and elegant locking knobs and exceedingly sturdy construction. There is exceptionally little shake and vibration, and the head stays aimed where you intended it to aim better than any of the others when you lock the movements. Contrary to what was said above, I find the handle a bit short, and as it comes out of the box, it is also not bent enough. For myself, I bent it some more to get an angle I like. Also, the handle can work loose more easily than in the 501. It is true that the friction adjustments don't work as well (read= do not offer as much of a range of true adjustment - one where the movement remains smooth while friction increases) than you would like, but then, neither does any other moderately priced video head I know of.

The 501 has a longer handle, perhaps slightly better friction controls (at least, they have slower action. On the other hand, the horizontal friction control wheel is awkwardly situated under the mounting platform so you need to tilt the head to get to it, and the controls again don't seem to have much range before the movement becomes jerky). On the negative side, the head has plenty of plastic parts to lessen the quality appearance (not necessarily the functional quality), and the pan and tilt locks are less intuitively situated.

There is also a new Manfrotto 503, which is a spring-loaded version of the 501. I have not tested it yet, but externally it looks almost identical with the 501, with the same strengths and weaknesses. However, a head stands or falls by its action, and it is possible that the 503 with its spring loading would be superior to the two we have been discussing. If you try it with your rig mounted on it, you should pretty quickly be able to tell.

And lastly, although I may sound like a broken record here, even video heads vary unit to unit because the precise amount and distribution of the silicon fluid (grease) and the precise amount of pre-tension of the bearings determine how light/stiff the movement is at minimum friction setting. For my telescope use, I chose a Gitzo with smoother and lighter than average action, and some of the others I have tried out in the field have been (at least to me) much less pleasing to use than mine. If the horizontal movement is a little too stiff, you can lighten it up by giving the head a couple of dozen rotations in the same direction. This evens out the silicon grease. Don't overdo it (check periodically to see if the movement is what you like), because you cannot reverse the process without dismantling the head - which I do not advice.
Vertical movement cannot be manipulated by this trick, obviously, since you can only rock the bearing back and forth.

Kimmo

Adey Baker said:
After yet another Velbon tripod has come close to being life-expired I've decided to look around for a higher quality model to replace it (when funds allow!).

I've decided to get a Gitzo carbon fibre 'pod and I've more or less homed-in on the the G1227 model - any comments on the 'Rapid' versus 'Geared' versions would be appreciated.

But I'm a bit unsure whether a three-way head, such as the G1171/1371(or QR versions) or a fluid head such as the G2380 would be most suitable.

It will be used for both telescope-viewing and photography. I have a DSLR with 400mm F5.6 lens and don't anticipate getting anything much heavier - yet!

Any comments from anyone using any of the above or similar would be greatly appreciated before I shell-out over £400!

TIA

Adey
Hello Adey,

I have a Gitzo 1228 and two heads that I use for different purposes. For photography I use the Acratech ball head and for scoping the manfrotto 128RC. I was using the Manfrotto for both but found that the ball head was quicker, handled more weight (I have a Canon D1 MK II and a 300 f2.8 lens) and had no handle to get in the way. But the fluid head, with one handle, is definitely better for scoping. If I had to choose only one it would be the fluid head. Meanwhile, I have ordered a Gitzo 1325 because of the weight of the camera lens combo (and height). So, for future reference, when you want that BIGGER lens...

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back