• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (2 Viewers)

I'm entering this very late as it's taken a long time for me to get home this year. Please tell me if this is anyway cheating, but I've decided to count birds seen in and from the garden of my university college, on the campus of the University of Queensland in central Brisbane. It has a decent view over some lakes, so I should be able to build up a decent total!

5. Pacific Black Dick

Hmm... I'm not sure I want see that on my garden. 3:)

But University garden sounds fair enough. Welcome back Timsg80. :t:

Think scanning distant gull flocks in flight may well be the way forward ...

53) Mediterranean Gull x5
54) Black-headed Gull 20+

Better views of the Iceland Gull too - eventually picked it up in the swirling gull masses.

Didn't realise I was ahead of Richard, just behind Ken, and hope to stay ahead of Jos a short while yet, and roll on spring. Still have Feral Pigeon to work for.

Last edited:
Still cold, still most water frozen, but ice break up imminent. First frogs today, second White-tailed Eagle of the week over, nice immature circling over my pools, plus six Whooper Swans flying over, a couple of Mute Swans too, along with newly arrived migrants as below:

49. Wigeon (third record on my land)
50. Goldeneye
51. Wood Pigeon
52. Wren
53. Goldcrest
54. Chaffinch

Last edited:
53) Mediterranean Gull x5
54) Black-headed Gull 20+

Didn't realise I was ahead of Richard, just behind Ken, and hope to stay ahead of Jos a short while yet, and roll on spring. Still have Feral Pigeon to work for.

Is it standard to get five Med Gulls in an average small gull flock round your way or pretty good record?

PS. you remain one ahead of me :)

#16. Whooper Swan (2) - I think that this pair is the same one that has been allready one week waiting for the melting of the ice at local bay. Or, after all, there's already a few stream location where ice has gone. A lots of Goosanders, Goldeneyes, Herring Gulls and Great Black-backed Gulls on those. Few Mallards and Canada Geese as well. This morning there was also 13 Grey Herons. Now, I just have to wait they all fly above my garden...

Thought I heard a Red Kite this pm - & all the Jackdaws going ape - but no sign and I remain unsure. So that one will have to wait.
'
Equally frustrated here - I thought I heard the 'diditdiditt' of a Grey Wagtail this afternoon but the river in the valley bottom is so loud at the moment due to the rapid snow melt I couldn't be sure. Other oddity of today was finding Serin and Dunnock up at the ski station 400m higher up than our house when we haven't seen/heard them here yet. :-C

And while I'm here...

26. Siskin

EDIT:

And...

27. Mallard

Nothing new for a few weeks, then two over the weekend, including a new bird for my life-time list in this garden:

28. Meadow pipit - a Morpeth garden lifer (species 66!), singing over hedgerows on the adjacent farmland (so another that I'm unlikely to see/hear again once it's a new housing estate...). I'm guessing this wouldn't be a lifer if I were a better birder, but my ability to pick out different songs is improving, so I get to add new species to the list that have probably been around for years!

29. Chiffchaff - returned right on cue!

Last edited:
56. Great Black-backed Gull

Picked up a few distantly along the coastline (to add to a possible that got away the other day)

Still no Feral Pigeon - they all turn out to be Stock Doves or something.

Is it standard to get five Med Gulls in an average small gull flock round your way or pretty good record?

Passage birds.

It was actually a large gull-flock - 300+ Herring, a handful of LBBG, the Iceland and relatively few small gulls. But yes, I'm happy to see them as don't normally look at gulls on land much. You get the odd Med on the Reservoirs at passage times. So not only a 'garden tick' but most I've seen together away from the coast.

Med Gulls on the increase (and at this time of year BH Gulls passing through rapidly - soon there will be none) - eg saw on twitter the other day a record 300+ Meds together at one site in the south of England

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back