• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swarovski 8x50B opinion (1 Viewer)

Nase

I am interested if anybody has experience with the old swarovski 8x50B and what is the brightness and clarity of the binocular. Some said that swarovski 7x50B is even better, but I haven't chance to try them, so any experience would be highly appreciated. Many thanks!

They are great binoculars both. I have seen them and I was once thinking of buying the 8X50. They have been discontinued. I you found them at good price on used market, go for them. Alternatively, you can buy a 8.5X42 EL on used market (if any body is willing to sell) and it's lighter and more practical than the 7X50 and the 8X50 SLC for almost any application.

-Omid

Last edited:
I would be interested to know what purpose you, bockos and batvenci (are you the same person??) intend for the many binoculars you have expressed interest in?

Thanks Omid for the useful experience. I found swarovski 8x50B on ebay and I am thinking of buying it and that's why I ask for some help. Can't understand what Patudo has in mind. I think Birdforum is a place for helping each other not judging!

The only 8x50 SLC I found on eBay is this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swarovski-S...525116?hash=item3aed3128fc:g:bhoAAOSwQHFZi8uw

From the S/N it was made in 1999, and therefore probably doesn't have SWAROBRIGHT prism coatings. Personally, I'd call Swarovski before buying to make sure they will cover it on lifetime warranty. The seller lives in Rhode Island, which is a good sign, but still it may have been black market. So, check first before sending one. Also, what about the accessories?

Notice the seller doesn't offer returns. :(

Good luck,
Ed

Thank you very much elkcub! There was another one from 2001 but I am still not sure if it has the swarobright coatings.

Thank you very much elkcub! There was another one from 2001 but I am still not sure if it has the swarobright coatings.

Sorry, I just realized that you're a Brit. Going in reverse, check to see what the warranty would be in your country, assuming it was first purchased in the US under SONA. :eek!:

As memory serves, SWAROBRIGHT was introduced around 2004, so it's unlikely the 2001 model would have it. Again check with Swarovski in England.

Ed

Last edited:
Nobody has experience with slc 7x50 or 8x50B?

I inherited a pair of the 8x50 and they are very bright and optically amazing but I've never had anything better than Zen Ray 7x36s. I have looked through some high end Kowa's and I like these way better.

My sister was going to give them to Goodwill as she didn't know what they were. I told her what they were worth but his estate was worth a lot so she said well take them if you can use them. o:D

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back