• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Replacement Focus Wheel (1 Viewer)

AdamSi

Hi All I picked up a pair of 10x42EL swarovision and the focus wheel splines are all soft and almost rubbing off under your fingers, they feel sticker and wonder if previous owner had deer on their finger s that has caused this. Does anyone know how to remove the focus wheel? can I buy a spare from Swarovski UK? Thanks in advance Adam

Hi All I picked up a pair of 10x42EL swarovision and the focus wheel splines are all soft and almost rubbing off under your fingers, they feel sticker and wonder if previous owner had deer on their finger s that has caused this. Does anyone know how to remove the focus wheel? can I buy a spare from Swarovski UK? Thanks in advance Adam

Did you mean beer? I have never heard of deer disolving plastics :-O

Lee

Perhaps some unwanted chemicals were used by the previous owner, from bug spray, WD-40, gasoline, etc., the list goes on.
I would do what Gijs stated above Post #2.

Andy W.

Adam,

Definitely not a DIY task. Your EL's Deserve the meticulous TLC that Swarovski Absam services are well known for. IMO (and Many Others), send them HOME for thorough and complete services!! :king: :t:

Ted

Adam,

Definitely not a DIY task. Your EL's Deserve the meticulous TLC that Swarovski Absam services are well known for. IMO (and Many Others), send them HOME for thorough and complete services!! :king: :t:

Ted

Posted back to Swarovski today for hopefully replacement wheel, its strange its only one part of it but can only imagine it was some chemical on the finger of the previous owner as 3/4 of the wheel is fine just that one small section has gone sticky and the rubber splines have almost rubbed away / very sticky

Posted back to Swarovski today for hopefully replacement wheel, its strange its only one part of it but can only imagine it was some chemical on the finger of the previous owner as 3/4 of the wheel is fine just that one small section has gone sticky and the rubber splines have almost rubbed away / very sticky

Yes, have read what Deet Insect Repellent (or sunscreens, sanitizers, ?beer? etc.) can do to plastics\rubber, etc.

Count on Swarovski to replace it...make it like new again. :king:
I've also read that when Swarovski does repairs like this, most often it is either taken care of, or a very respectable fee Might be assessed.

Let us know how their service for your ELs come out, Adam...Good Luck!! :t:

Ted

Yes, have read what Deet Insect Repellent (or sunscreens, sanitizers, ?beer? etc.) can do to plastics\rubber, etc.

Count on Swarovski to replace it...make it like new again. :king:
I've also read that when Swarovski does repairs like this, most often it is either taken care of, or a very respectable fee Might be assessed.

Let us know how their service for your ELs come out, Adam...Good Luck!! :t:

Ted

Thank you and will do, its first time I’ve seen the effects of something like deet as I’m so careful and seeing this I’m glad I am!

So I sent them back, they have been at estimate status and today it says repair started but they have not contacted me does that mean it’s free :) or am I getting too excited too soon?

So I sent them back, they have been at estimate status and today it says repair started but they have not contacted me does that mean it’s free :) or am I getting too excited too soon?

Adam,

With owner abuse, misuse or modifications, etc., there's no guarantee of free repairs. However knowing how Swarovski has treated me, other BF members and their great reputation from other user experiences I've read about, keeping your expectations low will just make the outcome that much sweeter! :king:

Ted

I would think that if they were to ask you to pay for it, they would have sent you the estimate first. Fingers crossed. So,.... looks like Swarovski once again crushes Nikon in the Warranty department.

Andy W.

Swarovski repaired some 8x32 els that the focus wheel broke off of, when my wife tripped on a hike last summer. Took a little over a month, but they came back fully functional, and no charge. I think you can expect a happy ending.

-Bill

I would think that if they were to ask you to pay for it, they would have sent you the estimate first. Fingers crossed. So,.... looks like Swarovski once again crushes Nikon in the Warranty department.

Andy W.

Careful! Nikon could well be using their "free" replacement Warranty option on a large amount of their cheap binoculars with new ones as compared to the number of free repairs that Swarovski does on theirs.

Bob

Last edited:
Bob,

I probably should have stated that I like Nikon, especially their higher end products. But I have come to the realization that Zeiss, Swarovski and Meopta all have transferable warranties, and a more clear and defined Warranty program on their sports optics. Nikon, I am afraid does not.

Andy W.

Most likely free of charge.
Swarovski in North America states no out of warranty work will be performed without authorization.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back