• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P600 (1 Viewer)

So as promised HD video.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pi_birder/14329103751/

If you are a birder, which I am, first and foremost bridge cameras like this are without a doubt the way to go. If you are a photographer and not much into birding well there are too may options to mention. I used an extremely light weight tripod to get all my shots over the last month and it was with ease I got relatively decent pics. Versatility of this camera is great but I will say one more time low light it is very tough, AF can be very slow. Sharp contrast can easily confuse this camera.

Last edited:
Any more news on this camera, been out a while now! Been waiting a long time to see what the new Canon SX60 would turn out to be and so far from what I've seen and read a little disappointed. Seen some great images from this camera but poor auto focus, image stabilization would be a killer. Any long term use and further information on this camera would be great!

Any more news on this camera, been out a while now! Been waiting a long time to see what the new Canon SX60 would turn out to be and so far from what I've seen and read a little disappointed. Seen some great images from this camera but poor auto focus, image stabilization would be a killer. Any long term use and further information on this camera would be great!
The reviews of the SX60 seems disappointing to me as well. It appears people are buying the SX50 over the SX60 because it is better. So I am considering the Nikon P600. But this comment in the review at imaging resource concerns me:

"Not so much its 7 frames/second continuous rate as the fact that it took 30 seconds to write a burst of images to a very fast memory card, and wouldn't let you do anything with it for that entire time. This was frankly pretty maddening."

I also have a mirror-less camera and shot RAW. JPEG only on the P600 is a let down as well.

Anyone have more thoughts on the Nikon P600?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Here's a nice comparison article of several bridge cameras. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/best-superzoom-2014/best-superzoom-2014-A.HTM

After going through it all, the P600 was the winner. But if I had my druthers, I think I'd go for the Fujifilm S1. It's performance was very close to the P600 (according to the article) and it's weather sealed, But big difference maker for me would be how fast the buffer clears. I have a bridge camera now that takes upwards of 30 seconds to clear just 5 full frame shots, and I detest that feature. If you're birding or doing other wildlife shots, waiting for half a minute for your camera to swallow a burst of photos always leads to missed shots that may have been better than what you already catured. Not to mention blood pressure elevating frustration! lol. Knowing that it takes a long time for the P600 to clear its buffer is a big negative for me.
I think if I had to choose between the two, it would be the S1 I'd go for. .

Here's a nice comparison article of several bridge cameras. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/best-superzoom-2014/best-superzoom-2014-A.HTM

After going through it all, the P600 was the winner. But if I had my druthers, I think I'd go for the Fujifilm S1. It's performance was very close to the P600 (according to the article) and it's weather sealed, But big difference maker for me would be how fast the buffer clears. I have a bridge camera now that takes upwards of 30 seconds to clear just 5 full frame shots, and I detest that feature. If you're birding or doing other wildlife shots, waiting for half a minute for your camera to swallow a burst of photos always leads to missed shots that may have been better than what you already catured. Not to mention blood pressure elevating frustration! lol. Knowing that it takes a long time for the P600 to clear its buffer is a big negative for me.
I think if I had to choose between the two, it would be the S1 I'd go for. .

The burst limitation of the P600 likely will put me on the fence. Still looking....

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back