• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon V3 with 70-300 CX? (1 Viewer)

mzettie

Wondering if any birdforum members have tried this camera and lens combination? I've been using superzooms for birding but would like better IQ and faster performance, without giving up too much reach or taking on a lot of weight (wrist problems.)
The 800mm eq. and diminutive size of this combo is very appealing, and AF appears to be very fast. However, it's pricey compared to some other 1 inch sensor cams, so I'd really like to know how well it shoots birds before taking the plunge. :-O

To perhaps give you some idea,these where taken on the V2 @ 300mm on the FX zoom which is known to be a bit soft @ 300mm,the times i have come close to buying the CX version do believe its a far superior lens.

Attachments

• DSC_1021.jpg
    DSC_1021.jpg
    628.5 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC_1917.jpg
    DSC_1917.jpg
    662 KB · Views: 149
To perhaps give you some idea,these where taken on the V2 @ 300mm on the FX zoom which is known to be a bit soft @ 300mm,the times i have come close to buying the CX version do believe its a far superior lens.

Thank you, those are very nice. I'm starting to think this route might be the one I should take. Wonder what Nikon has planned for the V4. Seems like the V3 could come down in price when a new model's released. Decisions, decisions......

They did register a patent (not that it means a lot) a couple of months ago for a 10-600 for the 1inch sensor,that could of course never happen or be for a bridge camera.

They did register a patent (not that it means a lot) a couple of months ago for a 10-600 for the 1inch sensor,that could of course never happen or be for a bridge camera.

Interesting. My first response is, it's probably for a fixed lens cam to compete with the G3X and FZ1000. That could be an attractive option, "if" they incorporate the V3's hybrid autofocus and the FZ100's "extra optical zoom" for more reach. Nikon's digital zoom is worthless for anything but record shots, whereas I've seen FZ1000 pics taken at the 10, and even 5 megapixel setting that are quite good.

The 2.7x crop factor of the V3 paired with a 10-600mm lens would give a 1600eq reach? Don't know if they could keep it small enough for me to be able to use, but it sure would be WOW!

Just read that the recently released J5 has an improved sensor...one similar to, maybe even the same as, the one in the Sony RX100. It also has very fast autofocus and burst speed but no EVF! Don't think it's large enough to use with a Hoodman Loupe, and even if it was, there'd be no way to hang onto it with the 70-300 attached. Grrrr

This does make me think I should wait and see what the V4 will bring. Sensor performance has apparently kept the N-1 cameras from competing well with other cameras in it's class, so one would think (hope!) Nikon would upgrade the sensor in the new V model too.

Just read that the recently released J5 has an improved sensor...one similar to, maybe even the same as, the one in the Sony RX100. It also has very fast autofocus and burst speed but no EVF! Don't think it's large enough to use with a Hoodman Loupe, and even if it was, there'd be no way to hang onto it with the 70-300 attached. Grrrr

This does make me think I should wait and see what the V4 will bring. Sensor performance has apparently kept the N-1 cameras from competing well with other cameras in it's class, so one would think (hope!) Nikon would upgrade the sensor in the new V model too.

Perhaps most of us dream of the ideal camera but a bridge with 1inch sensor and very long zoom (you dont have to use all of it all the time) made by Nikon as ime heavily committed to a Nikon forum would be my ideal.
Weight is not too important as i have moved away from a 3kg outfit so i could have a lot of bridge camera and still it would be lighter.
I do understand i have joined a predominately bird watching forum but i do want more than record images if i can,there is still a photographer inside me.

Interesting. My first response is, it's probably for a fixed lens cam to compete with the G3X and FZ1000. That could be an attractive option, "if" they incorporate the V3's hybrid autofocus and the FZ100's "extra optical zoom" for more reach. Nikon's digital zoom is worthless for anything but record shots, whereas I've seen FZ1000 pics taken at the 10, and even 5 megapixel setting that are quite good.

The 2.7x crop factor of the V3 paired with a 10-600mm lens would give a 1600eq reach? Don't know if they could keep it small enough for me to be able to use, but it sure would be WOW!

Although ime a Nikon fan they do need a WOW camera in that group,the trouble with Nikon is they know what people want 3:) or at least they would if they surfaced long enough to listen.

Question and answer in a nikon interview early this year.

Q: Any new Coolpix A? Any plans to respond to Canon and Sony's 1-inch sensor fixed-lens compact cameras?

A: Sony's 1-inch CSC is definitely very successful. We will have a competing product in the future.

There is hope be it faint its still hope

Question and answer in a nikon interview early this year.

Q: Any new Coolpix A? Any plans to respond to Canon and Sony's 1-inch sensor fixed-lens compact cameras?

A: Sony's 1-inch CSC is definitely very successful. We will have a competing product in the future.

There is hope be it faint its still hope

Yes, it would be surprising if Nikon didn't enter this market, especially now that they've acquired an improved 1 inch sensor. I doubt the first iteration will have enough reach for most bird-nerds though. Of course what reach works and doesn't is in part dictated by what kind of birding one does, and what one considers acceptable IQ.

The more I read about the Nikon1 system, the more enthused I get about it. Size and weight have kept me out of the mirrorless market, even though there's an obvious advantage to an interchangeable lens system. The 70-300CX is really a unique lens, nothing out there quite like it....if the V4 has the new sensor, that's probably the route I'll take.
Here's a link to one accomplished photographer who's gone all in with the N-1 system; http://tomstirrphotography.com/hummingbirds-in-flight

Size and weight have kept me out of the mirrorless market, even though there's an obvious advantage to an interchangeable lens system. The 70-300CX is really a unique lens, nothing out there quite like it

I agree it is attractive. Just wanted to mention one other mirrorless interchangeable lens option though: Panasonic and Olympus Micro 4/3s cameras and lenses. Their sensors are the next step up from the Nikon V system in terms of image quality (e.g. low light capabilities), but the cameras still have a 2x crop factor, so you do have significantly less lens weight to carry around compared to a DSLR. Currently the longest lens is 300 mm, but longer lenses have been announced as being in development. And though the crop factor is less than the Nikon V series, you have a bigger sensor, so can crop in closer. So I would expect the effective reach of the two to be similar. But if reducing weight is your top priority, and you want a step up from superzooms, then the Nikon V would probably be the way to go.

I agree it is attractive. Just wanted to mention one other mirrorless interchangeable lens option though: Panasonic and Olympus Micro 4/3s cameras and lenses. Their sensors are the next step up from the Nikon V system in terms of image quality (e.g. low light capabilities), but the cameras still have a 2x crop factor, so you do have significantly less lens weight to carry around compared to a DSLR. Currently the longest lens is 300 mm, but longer lenses have been announced as being in development. And though the crop factor is less than the Nikon V series, you have a bigger sensor, so can crop in closer. So I would expect the effective reach of the two to be similar. But if reducing weight is your top priority, and you want a step up from superzooms, then the Nikon V would probably be the way to go.

Hi Jim, thanks for the suggestions. I haven't been looking at the micro 4/3s, mainly because of size and weight issues. I'm small (5 ft.) and have nerve compression problems in my wrists. I don't want to carry a tripod or monopod when birding, and so far the 70-300CX with a Vcam is the only interchangeable pairing I've found that I believe I could not only carry for 5 or 6 hours, but shoot successfully, handheld. There's a photo of the combo in this review, you can see how tiny it is; https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-1-70-300mm-f4-5-5-6-vr

I'm not really a photographer, and the superzooms would probably suffice for me, if camera companies just made birders' needs their number one priority. ;)
In addition to "regular" birds in the field, I shoot hummers in my yard a lot, so the super fast AF and accurate continuous AF of the V3 holds a lot of appeal for me. And it seems the only real competitor in that regard is the A6000, which is APS-C and getting into even bigger territory.

Anyway, the V4 hasn't even been announced yet, so I've got plenty of time to keep looking, and I'll definitely keep the micro 4/3s in my radar. Technology is changing so quickly it's hard to keep up with all that's available and still have time to bird! Thanks again for the input!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back