• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SV vs. SV FieldPro (1 Viewer)

chill6x6

Supporter
I recently purchased a pair of SV 12X50 Fieldpro. At the time of sale, it was alluded that the "new" FieldPro 12X50s had the latest/newest optic improvements/coating tweaks. I've always taken it for granted that there
was ZERO difference in the internals of SVs...FieldPro or pre-FieldPro.

Difference or NO?

I recently purchased a pair of SV 12X50 Fieldpro. At the time of sale, it was alluded that the "new" FieldPro 12X50s had the latest/newest optic improvements/coating tweaks. I've always taken it for granted that there
was ZERO difference in the internals of SVs...FieldPro or pre-FieldPro.

Difference or NO?

Chuck,

On several occasions, SONA techs indicated to me that Absam headquarters has a continuous improvement program in place that makes on-going coating improvements. These constant improvements are so minuscule, that their R&D department can only "measure" the changes and that they do not affect the visual field of their optics, thus no public announcements or product change notifications.

However, as I understand, the newest EL SV "Fieldpro Optics", other than their ongoing improvement program mentioned above, has identical glass as the 2nd generation of SV's! Thus, I also accept there should be no discernible optical variance between the 2nd, and now 3rd generations of EL!

Ted

Chuck,

On several occasions, SONA techs indicated to me that Absam headquarters has a continuous improvement program in place that makes on-going coating improvements. These constant improvements are so minuscule, that their R&D department can only "measure" the changes and that they do not affect the visual field of their optics, thus no public announcements or product change notifications.

However, as I understand, the newest EL SV "Fieldpro Optics", other than their ongoing improvement program mentioned above, has identical glass as the 2nd generation of SV's! Thus, I also accept there should be no discernible optical variance between the 2nd, and now 3rd generations of EL!

Ted

Makes sense. Subtle changes along the way. Thanks for the clarification!

So, it appears neither of you have been made aware of the new SUPER-EXTRA LOW DISPERSION MEGA-SWAROVISION WONDERGLASS. Or better known as Verwunderung Glass by those in the know.;):-O

So, it appears neither of you have been made aware of the new SUPER-EXTRA LOW DISPERSION MEGA-SWAROVISION WONDERGLASS. Or better known as Verwunderung Glass by those in the know.;):-O

Yes, the SELDMSVW development...Actually, That's why I'm going to Absam in June...for field trials! ;):-O3:)

Ah, so you did know of SELDMSVW. You knew, but you didn't let us know that you knew, very clever of you. I thought you might know, but to say you knew would have been a guess since I really didn't know that you knew.:king:

Bought the field pro 8x32. Loved it at first but the distorsion caused headache after a day in the field(!). So I figured Id better wait for a future 832 with more balanced dist, since I prefer that configuration for general birding and the swaro is as good as it gets right now I think. In the meantime I went to my dealer. I took a look at the 1050 field pro which, to my eyes showed, if not as much as in the 8x, still a good amount of strong distorsion towards the edges of the field(in particular most around the lower part of the fov..?). My dealer told me that they still had a non field pro 1050 which I compared to the field pro and the pre field pro offered to my eyes a much more natural view, tack sharp and with a more mature distorsion. Didnt compare the other models, but got a great deal on the older 1050 and havent looked back since. Simply outstanding to me, if a tad heavy but the bino suspender helps!
Happy birding!

I bought the prev. model, the new fieldpro sample I compared it to was not as good when it came to sharpness.
So I guess sample variation might still be an issue.

I had a chance to handle a FieldPro for the first time today, the 8x32 EL. For me, the changes from the previous version are not desirable. I'm not a fan of objective caps, so having them tethered is irritating. Are they detachable? I would assume so, but the sales person at Cabela's didn't know and I didn't want to break their demo unit. Also, I found that the bosses for the strap are quite bulky and as it happens hit me uncomfortably in the palm/webbing between thumb and first finger (much as Steve Ingraham complained about the original version of the Zeiss Victory) when I hold them as I prefer with my hand high enough to focus with index and middle finger together and aligned straight across. The old strap lugs with strap attached are small and flush enough that they don't bother me. Otherwise, as very fine a binocular as ever.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back