• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Focusing when using Eagle Eye 5X Optic Zoom (1 Viewer)

rb_stern

Richard stern
I hope this is the right place to post this. I have been trying to use an Eagle Eye Optic Zoom 5X with my CP-4500 for situations when digiscoping is not a good option (in-flight shots, close rapidly moving warblers etc.), but I'm having a very low rate of success trying to get the shot in focus. I usually use the same settings as digiscoping, and try and rotate the distal end of the Optic Zoom till the target bird appears in focus, but it seems to be a very hit and miss affair. Does anyone have any tips?

Thanks,

Richard

Yep, I used to have this problem too. You're doing it the way that I used to. I used to half depress the shutter as I do in digisoping to lock the camera settings and then use the EE focus to get it as near as you can. The only other thing is that there is more dopth of fieldto play with when just using the EE so if conditions are bright enough you can go for a higher f-number at the expense of the higher shutter speeds, though the EE by it's design does knock a couple of f-stops.

Hi Richard,

The 'used to' refers to the EE that I once owned - it was stolen from my car whilst on holiday in Scotland earlier this year. Sandpiper raises another good point. I 'used to' set the EE focus mid-point and then half depress the shutter. You can then fine tune the focus after that but it's fiddly. I found using the Nikon EC-ED3 x3 converter (also stolen) was far easier and gave better results, even though it was a lower power.

Thanks,

Sorry to hear your stuff was stolen. I have a TCE-3 3X converter too - I might end up going back to that for flight shots.

I also have a the Nikon TC-E3 3X converter but haven't had too much luck with flight shots. I had better luck with a Kenko 2x converter for flight shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back