• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Legend 8x32's - any opinions (1 Viewer)

torrent

I've been looking at this pair of binos and was wondering if u guys had any opinions on the optical quality or how they compare to the 8x42s. Are there any other binos in the $400-500CN range that I should be looking at? Personally I like the close focus and the field of view. I'm just wondering if I'm going to be missing out on light transmission, contrast, or other such optical features. They seemed pretty good to be, but then again the ones that I've been using aren't even fit to be called binos, hehe, they've done me good though, but their time is done. I'm really looking for something that won't be too bulky, ideally. I cant afford the best, but I'm wondering if there is some binocular that would be a good all-round unit. Thnks for your advice.

Craig

ps. I've already fallen in love with the Swaro 8x32 ELs, I don't think my bank account understands though :(

legend 8x32

Last time I was at Eagle Optics I took a cursory look at these and was favorably impressed with their build and optical quality. I have seen them on Ebay for as low as US$200. I didn't bother to compare them optically against the >$800 bins.

They have a greater field of view than the 8x42s, but will sacrifice a little brightness to them. Personally, I have only found brightness to be an issue inside dark forests. At 31ozs, the 8x42s are about 6 or 7 ozs heaver also. Having relatively small hands, I have generally fallen for the ease of handling of 8x32 roofs.

It seems that the quality of low/midpriced roofs has improved over the last few years and there is virtual plethora of them now available. I can remember looking through the midpriced Zeiss Diafuns and the B&L Discoverers and being quite dissappointed. I usually don't get that impression when ever I get the chance to check out something like these: Pentax DCF 8x32 and 8x33, Eagle Optics Rangers Platinum, Celestron Nobles and Regals, Leupold Wind River Pinnacle and Katmai, and Nikon Sporters and Monarchs.

For the prices I have seen the Legends at I don't think you can lose. A number of people here speak highly of the Nikon Sporters which usually can be had for even less than the Legends.

torrent said:
I've been looking at this pair of binos and was wondering if u guys had any opinions on the optical quality or how they compare to the 8x42s. Are there any other binos in the $400-500CN range that I should be looking at? Personally I like the close focus and the field of view. I'm just wondering if I'm going to be missing out on light transmission, contrast, or other such optical features. They seemed pretty good to be, but then again the ones that I've been using aren't even fit to be called binos, hehe, they've done me good though, but their time is done. I'm really looking for something that won't be too bulky, ideally. I cant afford the best, but I'm wondering if there is some binocular that would be a good all-round unit. Thnks for your advice.

Craig

ps. I've already fallen in love with the Swaro 8x32 ELs, I don't think my bank account understands though :(

Try looking at the Pentax 8x32 SP good field of view compact, good weight.Ive just got the 8x33 xp and they are very compact good light gathering very light(500grams) the SP's should be better.

Just thought I'd let you guys know that I ended up buying them. I'm really happy with the purchase, especially since the first time I used them i found a new check for my list, Nashville Warbler, when i was visiting Cranbrook, BC.
Thanks for all the input you guys!

Missed this one torrent

my girlfriend bought a pair for our trip to Peru and I was very impressed with them too. In fact i used them on a few occassions cos i liked em so much! They stood up to the rigours of the environment as well as my trusty old dialyts did.

optically legends are great and so are the dcf sp

i've tried the legends 8 x43 today i love that glass almost as much as my pentax dcf sp. its basically the same glass except the pentax might be a hair sharper and brighter if i were you- your safe with either choice but the DCF SP are really light and very bright for their size.

i didnt think it was possible but due tim alwoods constant posting of his zeiss dialyst. i cant imagine ever owning a pair. every time i see the word zeiss i see sid vicious' ubnoxious face in my head and it has prevented me from likeing the bins no matter how wonderful they are. sorry tim.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back