• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wide eyepiece for PF80ED (1 Viewer)

scobrown

Hi all... I've got a PF80ED with the XW zoom. I love the scope and zoom, but I don't really use the zoom much... I'd love a do-it-all extra wide, sharp eyepiece. Recommendations? (And ideally on the cheaper end, while not sacrificing quality)... I'm wondering size/mag, brand, etc...

I have thought of the XW14, but all of the XW pieces are so high price wise... worth it, I'm sure, but would like a deal, if I can get one.

Cheers!

You might want to check around for new XW prices, as some places have certain XW focal lengths for $272 USD as compared to MSRP $356. Folks who paid full MSRP are likely why used prices of XW's are still pretty high. A used eyepiece option is to look for the Pentax XL series. I believe that series was the one Pentax brought out when the PF scopes were first introduced. They are similar to XW's, but have a 65˚ Afov rather than 70˚. They were available in 21mm, 14mm, 10.5mm, 7mm and 5.2mm and now typically sell for $150-$175 on the used market.

Likely other folks will chime in with more eyepiece alternatives. - Bill

Hi all... I've got a PF80ED with the XW zoom. I love the scope and zoom, but I don't really use the zoom much... I'd love a do-it-all extra wide, sharp eyepiece. Recommendations? (And ideally on the cheaper end, while not sacrificing quality)... I'm wondering size/mag, brand, etc...

I have thought of the XW14, but all of the XW pieces are so high price wise... worth it, I'm sure, but would like a deal, if I can get one.

Cheers!

Hi Sco, I have the 14mm XW on a Pentax EDII 65 and a 17mm Baader Hyperion on a Celestron Regal 80 F-ED, both yeild about 28-30x on the scopes. Both are wide angle and long eye relief and when I switch them there doesn't appear to be much difference. I also had a 13mm Baader on a Regal 65 F-Ed which was excellent but sold it with the scope. In the UK the Baaders are about £95, about $150. If you search the forum a lot of people use them in your country.
Hope this helps.

Les.

Thanks for the ideas --- so I'm really leaning toward a Baader Hyperion, but trying to decide 13mm or 17mm. One gets me about 28x, from my calc, and the other about 37-38x. I have the SMC zoom Pentax, so I do have a nice wide respectable 20x, as well as a serviceable 50-60x for extreme distance. The middle range on the SMC is lacking, especially in ER, which I need. I think this middle range would be a great all purpose for my general purposes with the scope -- mainly picking out IDs on ducks or scanning ducks/gulls/etc. Any thoughts on the 30x vs 40x dilemma???

Thanks...

Scott

Thanks for the ideas --- so I'm really leaning toward a Baader Hyperion, but trying to decide 13mm or 17mm. One gets me about 28x, from my calc, and the other about 37-38x. I have the SMC zoom Pentax, so I do have a nice wide respectable 20x, as well as a serviceable 50-60x for extreme distance. The middle range on the SMC is lacking, especially in ER, which I need. I think this middle range would be a great all purpose for my general purposes with the scope -- mainly picking out IDs on ducks or scanning ducks/gulls/etc. Any thoughts on the 30x vs 40x dilemma???

Thanks...

Scott

Sco, I have used the 13mm Baader on my Regal 80 F-ED sometimes for extra power but it is not quite as bright in the duller conditions here in the UK. The 17mm tends to stay on it most of the time and I can define just as much detail as the 13mm. I also have the excellent supplied Celestron zoom, which they don't sell seperately, for when I really do need 50-60x mag, but rarely use it. On brighter days I will sometimes use the Baader 10mm (48x), with it's wider view compared to the zoom, for sea watching. I think you will be quite happy with either but would be good if you could try both the 13mm and 17mm to see which you prefer, maybe someone with a good returns policy so you could return the one you don't want. I think the Baaders are very good value for money.
Hope this helps.

Les

BST explorer ED is a great value eyepiece..I own the 12mm and use it ,slightly adapted/modified,on a Kowa 823 and on my ED50.I also used it with a regal 65 .excellent performance for about 50 euros,you can see them on Agena in the USA.It comes in a 14 or15 mm version.The 12mm was 30x on the regal and 23x on the ED50..on the kowa grants 37x and that is a good compromise to my use,because i need that extra magnification for the kind of detail i want(sketching) .Also the BST "Flat Field "offers a great view in the 16 mm for similar price..a very compact eyepiece. This model ,screwed onto an adapter,is the actual eyepiece offered by Vortex and Zen Ray as "their" 30x for 150 dollars.

Last edited:
BST explorer ED is a great value eyepiece..I own the 12mm and use it ,slightly adapted/modified,on a Kowa 823 and on my ED50..

Hi mayomayo,
Please expand on this. How much adaptation is needed for use on the ED50?
It would be great to find new eyepieces for it.

The focal length of the Pentax PF65 is 390mm. The XW14 will yield just under 28x. I am well versed with this setup and absolutely recommend it.

The SMC zoom EP was nothing to write home about so don't judge XW EPs by that. The Baader Hyperions (had several) are good but not a good as the XWs (had 4) and don't have the infinitely adjustable eyecup.

IMO, the Pentax PF65 with the XW14 delivers an absolutely world class view.
The XW EPs can be had new in the $270-280 range
An XL14 EP gives up but 5 degrees (65 vs 70) angle of view but are as good and might be found for considerably less in the used market.

Last edited:
I dont recomend buying form this source, but heres a link to show you some options.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/index.php/cat/c70_Eyepieces-1-25-inch-with-big-field.html

if they had this in 11 or 12mm, it could be an option to try....

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-eyepieces/myriad-mwa-100110-eyepieces.html

There are other eps out there in the 80-90 deg FOV. some examples seen here....

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-eyepieces.html

15mm Sky Panorama Eyepieces, are worth a try !

Last edited:
Last edited:
I had most Hyperions and they are very good for terrestrial. XWs have now some rivals, Televue Delos (very good, I have 6 and 10, they only go up to 17.3 and they use Panoptic 24 for maximum field) and the new Baader Morpheus. Also a lot of options between 60 and 65mm, with TV DeLites and Vixen LVWs the most popular.
Among Hyperions the 24 has the best transmission (and less glass) but dust in the objective end is in the focal plane. 17 is among the best and you can shorten the focal lenght with 21 and 14mm rings easily. I find the 24mm and 20-8mm zoom the most practical combination (I like Baader zoom from 20-16mm downwards).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back