• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Habicht 8x30 W. (2 Viewers)

I used rubber eyecups from 1.25" Takahashi astro eyepieces instead of swarovski original ones, more confortable and perfect eye placement for my liking.
How did you put those on? Do they just slip over the standard Habicht 8x30 W black eye cups? With the bigger eye cups on how big is your O.D. in mm? Thanks.

So all the Habicht's in the black leather model GA use the same size in diameter black rubber eye cups? It is only the 10x40 GA and 7x42 GA Habicht models that use the bigger diameter green eye cups but they are all interchangeable? Swarovski does not make an 8x30 GA model. Thanks.

So all the Habicht's in the black leather model GA use the same size in diameter black rubber eye cups? It is only the 10x40 GA and 7x42 GA Habicht models that use the bigger diameter green eye cups but they are all interchangeable? Swarovski does not make an 8x30 GA model. Thanks.

I never saw a Habicht black leather GA model:smoke:

How did you put those on? Do they just slip over the standard Habicht 8x30 W black eye cups? With the bigger eye cups on how big is your O.D. in mm? Thanks.

The original eyecup unscrew, the takahashi ones are full rubber and just happen to snug perfectly over the naked eyepiece, both on the outer diameter and raised center part where the thread is.

the eyecup outter diameter is 40mm at the widest with the lid narrowing to about 37mm. This solution fits my eyesocket well and eliminates eyelash brushing against the lens.

The small lid can aslo be flipped back

Proud Papa said the GA eye cups are not available from Swarovski so your stuck with the standard issue black eye cups on the Habicht 8x30W.

The GA eyecups for the 10x40 Ga and the 7x42 GA are freely available over here in Europe. I use them on my (black) 7x42.

For me the standard issue work pretty good.

I also don't find the standard issue eyecups bad. But I find the green eyecups for the GA-models work better for me.

Hermann

The original eyecup unscrew, the takahashi ones are full rubber and just happen to snug perfectly over the naked eyepiece, both on the outer diameter and raised center part where the thread is.

the eyecup outter diameter is 40mm at the widest with the lid narrowing to about 37mm. This solution fits my eyesocket well and eliminates eyelash brushing against the lens.

The small lid can aslo be flipped back
Interesting. You got lucky on the fit. Thanks a lot for the information. 40mm O.D. is a nice size for your eye sockets. Do they change the eye relief any?

Last edited:
The GA eyecups for the 10x40 Ga and the 7x42 GA are freely available over here in Europe. I use them on my (black) 7x42.

I also don't find the standard issue eyecups bad. But I find the green eyecups for the GA-models work better for me.

Hermann
Yes, I find the green bigger GA eyecups almost perfect on the Habicht 8x30 W. They are 38.2mm O.D. and my Swarovski SV 8x32 eye cups are 39mm O.D. So they pretty close to ideal. The black Habicht 8x30 standard issue eye cups are only 36mm O.D. so they are too small. They go into your eye sockets too far. This solves the major issue with the Habicht's. The Habicht's are one sweet binocular once you get used to them. Gorgeous optics from that little porro.

Interesting. You got lucky on the fit. Thanks a lot for the information. 40mm O.D. is a nice size for your eye sockets. Do they change the eye relief any?

Yep, the perfect fit was a nice surprise. I don t wear eyeglasses but I like long eyerelief (deep set eyes and long eyelashes). The eyecup mod maximised the useable ER of the Habicht for me.

Today I received a Swarovski Habicht 8x30W with serial no. A861212222. Swarovski said it was manufactured in 2016 in the last week of March (so just last week). Below is the picture of the box. It doesn't look like the previous box I saw at ebay. Also it has green and violet reflections at the objective lens. Shouldn't it supposed to have green reflections only? What does it mean if it has violet reflection too (and larger)? I wonder if my 2016 edition is similar to previous or more degraded or enhanced version. Attention all owners. Please look at the objective lens and see if you can see any violet reflection or if it is all green.

The best thing about the Habicht 8x30 is I can focus without using my eyeglasses. All other center focus binoculars I tried couldn't do that. I have -10.0 diopters of myopia (nearsightedness). It has more beyond it so maybe it can accommodate -14 diopters.

Attachments

• 2016 habicht.jpg
    2016 habicht.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 220
  • green violet habicht.jpg
    green violet habicht.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Matthew,
Did you already use the Habicht and how is the image for your eyes? If I read your post, I think that you worry about nothing, since the boxes the binoculars are delivered with change sometimes by all manufactureres on the basis of efficiency or the wish for a new design. Swarovski gives information on its WEB-site and in its flyers and is generally giving the correct information, so the first thing you should do in my opinion: take the binocular in the fields and use it and if you then have something to worry about share it with us.
Gijs van Ginkel

Matthew,
Did you already use the Habicht and how is the image for your eyes? If I read your post, I think that you worry about nothing, since the boxes the binoculars are delivered with change sometimes by all manufactureres on the basis of efficiency or the wish for a new design. Swarovski gives information on its WEB-site and in its flyers and is generally giving the correct information, so the first thing you should do in my opinion: take the binocular in the fields and use it and if you then have something to worry about share it with us.
Gijs van Ginkel

Starting 2011. Swarovski changed the Swarotop to have 96% transmission. I read maybe dennis or binomaniac mentioning the coatings in the objective lens should be deep green but why did i notice of half of it as violet. I just want to know if violet coatings was also in the older ones so I'd know if it is identical to the 2011 onwards production. This is because I have seen last year another Swarovski 8x30W with only green coatings (no violet or did I just forgot)? I'm interested basically in the transmission spectra.

In the field. It is fantastic.. perfect for my -10 diopter without eyeglasses.. many complained the eye relief was short so people with spectacles couldn't see full view.. but they can use it without eyeglasses (i'm not sure for farsightedness.. but for nearsightedness it can reach up to maybe -14 diopter)... the focuser is also smooth.. almost as smooth as the Sightron.. it will be my one and only binocular from now on (already returned the Sightron which has only just maybe -7.0 diopter past infinity and half the contrast of the Habicht).

Last edited:
I found this article about lens coatings rather interesting and informative.

Ed

Attachments

• Lens Coating Explanation.pdf
    183.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Matthew,

You might want to read this article about lens coatings and why they appear as they do. Every indication is that your model was upgraded with improved multi-coatings, and you should be very pleased about that.

Ed

Thanks. But I was not asking why there were colors in the reflections and what they meant (although this is secondary). I simply wanted to know for now if my model is the same to the 2011 onwards where Swarovski did the latest Swarotop update. So to all who own the Habicht 8x30W. Please take a look at the objective lens now and see if you can see violet (or purple) coating in addition to the green or whether you only see deep green. That is all. After this. I will just use it for a lifetime. I'd not get any bulky Zeiss SF or Swaro Field Pro EL anymore. And because I'd no longer need any new binocular. I'd no longer read this forum next week (which can consume a lot of time as I spent 4 hours reading the Sightron thread and others).

Dear Matthew,
I think that your insistence on what colours the reflections should be is unnecessary.
Also whether at certain wavelengths or overall it has 96% transmission or 95%.
It is not what you read or think should happen. It is how the binocular actually performs.

You have the binocular.
Enjoy it.

I am pleased that you found a binocular to use without glasses. That is what I hoped you would find.
It seems to solve your problems beautifully.

that certainly looks like an improvement in the coatings to me, most likely to improve glare control and sounds like they also improved the focus tension .....those are the only things I can think of that needed any improvement on the habicht porro but things that a lot of folks complained about....sounds like they addressed both of those issues.....puts the old [pre 3/16] model into the collector category B4 they are even off of some dealers shelves, if this is the case......

Last edited:
Thanks. But I was not asking why there were colors in the reflections and what they meant (although this is secondary). I simply wanted to know for now if my model is the same to the 2011 onwards where Swarovski did the latest Swarotop update. So to all who own the Habicht 8x30W. Please take a look at the objective lens now and see if you can see violet (or purple) coating in addition to the green or whether you only see deep green. That is all. After this. I will just use it for a lifetime. I'd not get any bulky Zeiss SF or Swaro Field Pro EL anymore. And because I'd no longer need any new binocular. I'd no longer read this forum next week (which can consume a lot of time as I spent 4 hours reading the Sightron thread and others).

Matt,

My previous 2014 Habicht 8x30W had two bright yellow circles and one diffused red circle in an objective pic I took...it came from the flash and the overhead lighting (kind of like your pic)!! Depending on the ambient lighting conditions, I would see different colored hues reflected back. With very little to no direct lighting, the objectives were perfectly clear and void of any color reflections. I really believe you are good to go, ready for a lifetime of glassing enjoyment! :t:

Ted

that certainly looks like an improvement in the coatings to me, most likely to improve glare control and sounds like they also improved the focus tension .....those are the only things I can think of that needed any improvement on the habicht porro but things that a lot of folks complained about....sounds like they addressed both of those issues.....puts the old [pre 3/16] model into the collector category B4 they are even off of some dealers shelves, if this is the case......

Wait. I don't have an EDG to compare it to which is said to have the finest focusing knob. I was expecting you need 2 fingers to turn it since I read dennis need a wrench to turn it. So when I said it was smooth. I didn't mean silky smooth. Just for reference. A one or two year old kid may not able to turn it because it has tension. While in the EDG or Swaro EL 8.5x42 I guess even one or two year old kid can turn it?

About the coatings. Is there really no violet prior to 2016? Anyone who actually owns one.. please try. Just wanna know because in the old Habicht coatings which was purple (violet).. there was yellowish tint.
Since the Habicht 8x30W would be my only binocular for now. Anyone knows where to get objective lens plastic cover that can exactly fit it?

it certainly looks like a different combination of coatings to me... I don't have a post 2011 version to compare it to... but all the pictures Iv seen show a dominant green cast........

in fact the pair I have were made in the 1950s....;)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back