• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

wildlife in graphite (4 Viewers)

this is my latest drawing depicting a black leopard.i was trying to capture something of the animals latent ferocity in its posture

Attachments

• finished lep 001 (Small).JPG
    finished lep 001 (Small).JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 63
wonderful - how do you manage to get such a variety of tones in something that is so black? Very skilfully done.

wonderful - how do you manage to get such a variety of tones in something that is so black? Very skilfully done.

thanks nick and tim too.in answer to your question i layer the graphite many times over,working from the harder grades through to the softer stuff and just like 'glazing' in oils it changes tones either subtlely or dramatically with each subsequent layer giving a great range of tones to work with.a black cat like this one is an ideal subject to really showcase the benefits of using the 'layering' technique.

I've been watching this come along on your blog. It's a lovely piece. I'm amazed that you always seem to manage to keep the dust under control. Whenever I've tried anything in graphite it's always been a problem keeping areas I'm not working on clean.
I did a lot of colour pencil work in the past and I always used an owl feather to waft away the dust, maybe you use something similar?

Mike

I've been watching this come along on your blog. It's a lovely piece. I'm amazed that you always seem to manage to keep the dust under control. Whenever I've tried anything in graphite it's always been a problem keeping areas I'm not working on clean.
I did a lot of colour pencil work in the past and I always used an owl feather to waft away the dust, maybe you use something similar?

Mike

thanks to all for the kind words.
to be honest mike i dont get too much dust when i work probably because i dont use too much of the softer graphite,i find because of the layering i do i very rarely need to use softer than a 3B and if i do use softer grades its quite sparingly.a gentle blow across the surface is generally all thats needed to rid the work of any dust.when i work i keep a piece of cheap printer paper under my working hand and that reduces any chances of getting graphite anywhere i dont want it.but i can lift graphite using blu-tack from the paper if necessary

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back