• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cleaning Feeders (1 Viewer)

LuaLua

Hi all,

I hope this is the right place to post this. How often do you clean your feeders and what with? Do you clean the ground beneath?

Thanks,
LuaLua

as far as i am aware the RSPB recomend cleaning feeders and surrounding area at least once a fortnight ...i have seen suitable cleaning fluid in garden centres..personally i use milton as used for babys

I follow advice I received shortly after starting to feed the garden birds.

I clean and disinfect the feeding station once a week. This involves a clean up of all spilled seed and feed, scrubbing down the feeds tables and a good wipe over of the hanging feeders and bird baths with Ark-Klens solution ... then a rinse, a powdering of GardenKlens.

Once a fortnight I do a complete scrub out on top of the weekly clean ie I chuck out all seed and feed in the station and take apart and disinfect the feeders and tables.

Once a month I replace the shale and bark under the feeders.

Because of the worry about finches and the suggestion of bird flu I am probably a bit more cautious than that for the moment, also. I tend to scrape up all spills more, change the bird water in three bathing stations three times a day and just be all around more attentive to hygiene around the feeding areas.

I think I am about in line with the RSBP advice really.

monkshood said:
as far as i am aware the RSPB recomend cleaning feeders and surrounding area at least once a fortnight ...i have seen suitable cleaning fluid in garden centres..personally i use milton as used for babys

Mind you, they don't follow their own advice. From the state of the hanging feeders in the garden at The Lodge at the HQ in Sandy it looks as though they've never been cleaned, and some have been hanging some many years.

rich

I clean beneath the feeders and rinse the hanging seed trays once a day because the many starlings visiting go to the toilet a lot. Every time I replace the seed I give the feeders a rinse out/wripe over.

I have concrete beneath the feeders so use Ark klens and boiling water & a brush.

The seed feeders probably only get a proper clean out once a month. I find it very tricky to take apart & put together - perch/ring type.

I wonder if any of us here will admit to not cleaning regularly :)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back