• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grey Heron's Eye Movement Question (1 Viewer)

Hi all

Photographed this young Grey Heron fishing on the canal - no, he didn't use a rod - and noticed that I captured an odd movement of his eyes.

At first I thought it was the reflection of the fish in the Heron's eye but in the second photo the fish is in the same position but there is no 'reflection'.

So is the Heron's eye similar to, but not exactly like, that of a Chameleon?

I have never noticed this before - and doing a search for Heron's eye movement brought up lots of confusing web pages regarding their vision with diagrams and graphs, but couldn't find something that would give me a simple answer.

Any help appreciated thanks

Attachments

• grey-heron-eyes.jpg
    grey-heron-eyes.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 31
Hi Ritchie

This is the nictating membrane, which you can read more about in the Opus Dictionary here.

It shows it very nicely too in these pictures.... very well done lad, a good spot.

Hi Ritchie

This is the nictating membrane, which you can read more about in the Opus Dictionary here.

It shows it very nicely too in these pictures.... very well done lad, a good spot.

Ah, thanks Delia.

I have actually heard about this and watched wildlife programmes showing this 'third eyelid' but didn't match that up with this Heron's. I think because it seems like the Heron's eye is moving slightly inward and at an angle - but silly me it's just an illusion! I thought it was odd ;)

Another thing learnt.

thank you :t:

Grey Herons are called Haigries on Shetland and that is derived from Norse languages, Shetland having belonged to Norway for a long time. We call all Grey Herons Haigrie, not a Haigrie, but Haigrie, as if it was a proper name. We think its a friendly sounding name that suits the contemplative appearance of our big Heron and even has a kind of Tolkienesque flavour.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back