Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

mourning doves

Old Monday 2nd July 2018, 00:55   #1
ElCucuy

mourning doves

is this normal behavior in mourning doves? just curious. a few of them very regularly feed around my feeder and they seem to be the dominant birds. they will peck the bluejays woodpeckers cardinals and all the others away until they finish. they will put up with the blackbirds but i seen them charge them too. i think they are there the most and theyre the only birds who have gotten used to me, they arent scared at all when i come out to replace feed

it just surprised me cuz i always thought they were little innocent cute fat birds and i love their coo call

Last edited by ElCucuy : Monday 2nd July 2018 at 00:58.
Old Monday 2nd July 2018, 01:09   #2
KC Foggin
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2018

Wow! I have never seen this behavior in my Mourning Doves. I'm glad cause I have quite a few.

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 2nd July 2018, 01:22   #3
ElCucuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Foggin View Post
Wow! I have never seen this behavior in my Mourning Doves. I'm glad cause I have quite a few.
Really never ? they do this here daily. Mine seem only cool with blackbirds but they wont tolerate them coming too close. Im kinda new to feeding birds I like seeing the personalities of each bird, they surprise me daily. they are amazing animals
Old Monday 2nd July 2018, 01:24   #4
KC Foggin
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2018

Truly real. They are chased off by many of my birds. Blue Jays being the biggest bully.

Karma - What you send out
Comes right back at ya

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 3rd July 2018, 04:32   #5
ElCucuy

cool
Old Monday 9th July 2018, 22:15   #6
JoAnnT

JoAnn, Founder of BirdFeedersForBirdWatching

I also regularly witness the agressiveness of my mourning doves. My doves like to eat seed off the ground, but they are just as drawn to the bird feeders.

The doves are larger than the other birds at the feeders, so they generally have no trouble running other birds off from a number of my feeders. The Blue Jays will sometimes run the doves off a feeder, but they are skittish and never stay long.

I have multiple bird feeders on my shephards hooks with 3 hooks each. I have open plate feeders, stacker feeders and cage feeders that have plenty of room for the larger birds. I also have tube feeders and a hopper feeder that have perches too small for large birds. The doves ignore the feeders they can not eat at. Also, with multiple feeders, the doves have to choose where they dine and the other birds have access to the other feeders.
Old Friday 27th July 2018, 23:27   #7
ElCucuy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnT View Post
I also regularly witness the agressiveness of my mourning doves. My doves like to eat seed off the ground, but they are just as drawn to the bird feeders.

The doves are larger than the other birds at the feeders, so they generally have no trouble running other birds off from a number of my feeders. The Blue Jays will sometimes run the doves off a feeder, but they are skittish and never stay long.

I have multiple bird feeders on my shephards hooks with 3 hooks each. I have open plate feeders, stacker feeders and cage feeders that have plenty of room for the larger birds. I also have tube feeders and a hopper feeder that have perches too small for large birds. The doves ignore the feeders they can not eat at. Also, with multiple feeders, the doves have to choose where they dine and the other birds have access to the other feeders.

yes i can relate. Awesome, thank u for the response
Old Friday 27th July 2018, 23:27   #8
ElCucuy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnnT View Post

sounds like you sure take good care of your birds
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: