Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Peregrines hopping with rocks?

Old Tuesday 31st July 2018, 03:38   #1
jftoole

Peregrines hopping with rocks?

Hi all,
I'm new to this page. I was hoping you guys could tell me what these (I'm pretty sure they are Peregrine Falcons) birds are doing. I'm not really a bird watcher but I am curious about what I saw. For context the Peregrines were under a black oak on the University of Chicago Quad. They appeared to be holding rocks in their talons and then hopping/pouncing. I have video of the behavior at the link below. I'd appreciate any info people are willing to share!
https://youtu.be/GCTz2LutrDY
Old Tuesday 31st July 2018, 04:20   #2
bellenbeast

I guess there's something under the platform or maybe they are just playing around. It is indeed weird to see two birds hopping on a soil.
Old Tuesday 31st July 2018, 07:11   #3
Hauksen

Hi John,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jftoole View Post
Hi all,
I'm new to this page. I was hoping you guys could tell me what these (I'm pretty sure they are Peregrine Falcons) birds are doing.
It looks to me as if they are playing "Steal my prey".

Note that the hopping bird sometimes partially spreads his wings while sitting on the ground ... that serves to hide the prey from sight. If another bird attacks, the bird defending the prey would perform a hop to evade, letting the fast attacker pass below him. Of course, he'd have to carry the prey with him in one foot to fully frustrate the attacker, and you can see the hopping bird do that at least once.

Also note that the hopping bird keeps looking at the more stationary bird all the time ... he's watching out for (or perhaps inviting) a playful attack.

At least, that's what I think they're doing! :-)

Regards,

Henning
Old Tuesday 31st July 2018, 07:14   #4
Simon Wates

They aren't Peregrines but one of the Accipiter hawks (Cooper's or Sharp-shinned I quess) and I thought they were feeding on insects or bits of prey given by the adults if they are juveniles just out the nest.
Old Tuesday 31st July 2018, 12:46   #5
Sangahyando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wates View Post
They aren't Peregrines but one of the Accipiter hawks (Cooper's or Sharp-shinned I quess) and I thought they were feeding on insects or bits of prey given by the adults if they are juveniles just out the nest.
Agreed. Or at least they were pretending to tackle prey. Either way, definitely hawks, not Peregrines.
Old Monday 27th August 2018, 12:23   #6
NatureLvrCanada

Not peregrines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wates View Post
Definitely not peregrines as I have seen my share of them (adults and juveniles) up close. If they are newly fledged Coopers Hawks, this is normal behaviour. I have seen this behaviour a number of times with recently fledged Coopers Hawks and they're just playing or learning to hunt. I was surprised to see them on the ground after leaving the nest but that has been the case with all the nests I have observed over the years.

Last edited by NatureLvrCanada : Monday 27th August 2018 at 12:27.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: