Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birds using brush piles

Old Tuesday 7th August 2018, 11:39   #1
jloomy

Birds using brush piles

Hello,
I live in north central Pennsylvania near the NY border. I've created huge brush piles next to the creek and fields. I see the birds hanging out and using the brush for perching and as a staging area to troll the creek. I need to burn these piles before the fields turn brown in September. My question is, would any of the species listed below have nests in the piles and if so, would the babies be at the age of flight? Most of the birds below are frequent fliers to the piles.
Grackles, Red Wing Blackbirds, House Sparrows, Starlings, Goldfinches, Red-Bellied Woodpeckers, Mourning Doves, Tree Swallow, Barn Swallow and Killdeer.
Thanks so much for reading,
Jerome
Old Tuesday 7th August 2018, 18:00   #2
Andy Bright
Administrator
BF Supporter 2018

Hi Jerome, welcome to BF. OK so you're on the other side of the Atlantic from me but our seasons and breeding times will be similar. I'd say with some confidence that all species will have finished with their nests by September, even those that had multiple broods.

cheers,
Andy

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 13th August 2018, 19:12   #3
nartreb
Speak softly and carry a long lens

Well, some of those species won't nest in brush piles (killdeer lay eggs on open ground, and many of the others prefer a fully-enclosed dead tree or streetlight) but others might. (Red-winged blackbirds, for example, like to nest in reeds or thick brush over water, but will also nest in brush *near* water.) And there are several species not on your list that would probably love to nest in your piles.
Generally birds start nesting as soon as they arrive in the spring, and a brood will fledge in three to six weeks (much longer for larger birds, but we're talking about small songbirds like sparrows). The problem, from your perspective, is that many species will then go ahead and start a second brood, and sometimes a third.
I don't know how much time a fledgling (and his parents) needs to fatten up for migration, but I'd guess that any songbird still in the nest after a hard frost is probably doomed. I doubt that any time before then is completely risk-free.

Last edited by nartreb : Monday 13th August 2018 at 21:41. Reason: clarification; a few birds do incubate in winter, but not songbirds
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: