• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canada & the United States, Winter 2009-2010 (1 Viewer)

Some of the owls...

Attachments

• Boreal Owl can 1.jpg
    Boreal Owl can 1.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Snowy Owl can 2.jpg
    Snowy Owl can 2.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 95
  • Snowy Owl can 3.jpg
    Snowy Owl can 3.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 102
Hey Jos

Great read so far - love the last Snowy pic especially!
I feel you were born about 180yrs too late - you'd've made an excellent pioneering explorer back then! My kind of birding, great stuff!

Yep, sorry a European-North American clash of names ;)

The equivalent of your Elk is our Red Deer.

What you call Moose, we call Elk.

:-O

While that is correct, in the UK we also call Elk Moose. That's European Elk and not NA Elk. I still call NA Elk, Elk, but our Red Deer are always Red Deer.

Confused!? So am I!

Don't even mention Reindeer and Caribou

You're confused: last summer in Finland I saw Elk, Wolverine and Brown Bear.

Or was it Moose, Glutton and Grizzly? All are the same three animals (I think, I can't always keep up with latest tidal movements in taxonomy).

But where I get really really baffled is over the genus Cervus, where I think at the moment Red Deer and NA Elk are conspecific but Sika is not.

Red Deer looks nothing like NA Elk or Sika, and sounds completely different to either.

NA Elk and Sika look nothing like each other but sound very similar.

WTHIH as the aviation people say.

John

Yes...the most recent taxonomic suggestion is to treat the Elk-Red Deer Complex as three species, Elk (North America + Siberia), Tibetan Red Deer (Central Asia), and Red Deer (most everywhere else)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back