• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Monk Parakeets living in Miami neighborhood (1 Viewer)

tree777

I have feeders in my backyard and everyday without fail i get visited by monk parakeets (not a very good pic sorry) they eat my black oil sunflower seeds, millet, my mangoes, suet & just about anything ... i have seen over 15 on more than one occasion sometimes they are extremely aggressive with each other but never with another species...if you are by SW 152nd ST & 107th ave there is an electrical power plant at the traffic signal if you look up inside the power plant you will see several monk parakeet nests you will see them flying all over that area all year-round....also spotted 2 black-hooded parakeets as well.
DSCN0553.jpg
DSCN0548.jpg

Attachments

• IMG00044-20100814-1656.jpg
    IMG00044-20100814-1656.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Lucky you. I wish there was an established parrot population or 2 in northern Nevada to liven things up. Once in a blue moon I see someone's escaped pet flying about for a day or 2 & that's about it.

Last edited:
They are fantastic, aren't they? Despite the fact that Monk Parakeets are an introduced species, I find them to be very charming additions to the otherwise dull (and also mostly introduced) city bird fauna of Eurasian Collared-Doves, European Starlings, and Boat-tailed Grackles in Miami.

But I have a soft spot for parrots.

Carlos

Excellent! My only legitimate sighting so far was in teh drive through at a McDonald's in Davie.

I envy yu your birdfeeder :)

They are fantastic Carlos....I agree they are a wonderful addition to Miami......Yes fugl & merryslug I feel very lucky & blessed to be visited by them

We have two colonies in Winter Haven. I try and get over there whenever I can. It's only about 8 miles from my house.

The easiest place to see them is at the South Lake Howard Nature Park. When you park your car don't go into the park, head back toward the street and look up at the telephone pole with the 3 transformers on it. The nest is huge! :eek!:

Attachments

• winterhavenparke5-23-10 (600 x 440).jpg
    winterhavenparke5-23-10 (600 x 440).jpg
    48 KB · Views: 81
  • winterhavenparkb5-23-10 (504 x 370).jpg
    winterhavenparkb5-23-10 (504 x 370).jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 71
We have two colonies in Winter Haven. I try and get over there whenever I can. It's only about 8 miles from my house.

The easiest place to see them is at the South Lake Howard Nature Park. When you park your car don't go into the park, head back toward the street and look up at the telephone pole with the 3 transformers on it. The nest is huge! :eek!:

They seem to love those telephone poles and electrical transformers....lol

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back