• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orlando, Bald Eagle. (1 Viewer)

forthbirder

Hi to all. Hope this isn't too similar to the previous thread. I will be visiting Orlando with the family in mid October, based at the Westgate Lakes Resorts. If anyone knows this area and could give me tips on birding in the vicinity I would love to hear from them. I don't drive, so really only places accessible by foot, public transport or a short cab ride.
Also, does anyone know if Bald eagle are resident in the Orlando area? I have been told ospreys are quite common, but I've had many sightings of these in Scotland, and would really like to see America's national bird in the wild. I am a bit of a raptor fan in general, do I have a chance of spotting any species over the Disney Parks or my accommodation?
Thanks in advance for any advice given, Mark.

Stayed a couple of miles away at Lake Buena Vista in late May/early June and also along Highway 192 a couple of years ago. Never managed to see Bald Eagle in that area but had Cooper's and Red-shouldered Hawk plus Turkey and Black Vulture overhead in the Orlando area. Also had 2 Swallow-tailed Kites on the way to Sanford airport but I would imagine they'll be long gone by October. Chance of most types of Egret/herons anywhere in the area plus Sandhill Cranes along roadside verges.

We had Bald Eagle, Snail Kite, Osprey & Red Shouldered Hawk at Boggy Creek Airboat rides. Not sure how easy they are to get to without a car though. I think they may offer some sort of shuttle service - check their website for more info.

Richard

I have just returned from a business trip to Orlando, staying on International Drive not too far from your hotel. Even here had fantastic views of both Red Shouldered and Coopers Hawk from my hotel window!! With limited birding opportunities I still saw numerous Herons, Ibises and Egrets everywhere I went, on any open water. Pied Billed Grebe, Double Crested Cormorants & Osprey were always present on a local lake. Birds also seen locally were Turkey and Black Vulture, Tufted Titmouse, Mockingbird, Cardinal, Grackles, Wood Stork, Red Winged Blackbird and a lifer for me, Common Nighthawk. Best sighting right next to the Hilton Hotel was a family of Sandhill Cranes that were ridiculously approachable. You will have a good time.

Last edited:
Mark,

You should also have a chance of Palm Warbler, Downy and Red-bellied Woodpeckers, Mourning and White-winged Doves, we had them all in our hotel grounds on the first trip

Just to add a little to the already sage advice...there are some pretty good birding areas around the theme park vacation spots, of which several include a good chance of bald eagle sightings. I'd recommend Kissimmee, just south of where you're staying - Lake Tohopekliga and East Lake Tohopekliga are both good spots with chance of eagle sightings, as well as myriad other Florida birds. Also consider Cypress lake about 10 minutes south of Kissimmee, or Brinson Park.

If you're going to be visiting any of the Disney World theme park areas, there are a very surprising number of birds to be found throughout the grounds - that do not require theme park tickets to see. Some suggestions would be to head to Wilderness Lodge resort's boat dock and cypress area, take the boat from Wilderness Lodge to Contemporary Hotel (which passes Discovery Island), walk the path from Disney's Marketplace over to the Saratoga Springs resort, check out Fort Wilderness campgrounds along the beach, take the boat from Marketplace to Port Orleans French Quarter, walk from the Treehouse Villas through the back of the golf course to Old Key West. If not actually going to the Disney parks, the easiest way to get around Disney properties for free would be to park at the Disney Marketplace or Downtown Disney area, which is free, and take the free bus or boat transportation around the Disney grounds to the various resort areas. Birds seen year-round on Disney properties would include anhingas, cormorants, great egrets, snowy egrets, cattle egrets, great blue herons, green herons, purple gallinules, glossy ibis, white ibis, red-shouldered hawks, bald eagles, wild turkeys, peafowl, grackles, various gulls and terns, blue and scrub jays, various woodpeckers, cardinals, at least 4 species of duck, pied-billed grebes, moorhens, coots, white and brown pelicans, several warblers, flycatchers, and other assorted birds.

Many thanks to all who have provided invaluable advice about where to go and what I can expect to see. I never expected to get even half as much info and tips as you have all provided. Even if I don't see any eagles, it looks as though dad will be just as happy as the kids on holiday for a change!
Best regards to all, Mark.

Like lots of people I saw a whole range of birds in and around and over both the hotels and the parks. We went two Novembers in a row.

I ticked bald eagle from a mono rail at Disney world, American Pelican whilst I was on top of summit plummet waiting my turn, Sandhill Crane off a shuttle bus and roseate spoonbill whilst I was at the top of one of the huge rollercoasters at Busch gardens just before we went over(double excitement).

Waiting to cross the road at by universal studios I realised that bits of fish were falling all around us. Looking up their was an Osprey on the street light shredding a large fish of some description or other.

There are birds everywhere.

There are plenty of birds to be seen in and around the Disney Parks. I don't remember the exact location, but if you go to Magic Kingdom, cross to the park on either the ferry or monorail, you can walk to some of the resorts/hotels. There's a little boat dock and you can hire a little boat, and drive around the lake, we got to see an osprey eating a fish, among many other things, was very cool. There's plenty of bird life. I think I've only seen one bald eagle, perhaps two, during my stay in the U.S and it was just by luck. I'm sure with a bit of info first you'll manage to find one though. There is never a shortage of birds in Florida though.

If you get get to the Tampa Bay area (90 minutes west from Disney) then spend some time at the Honeymoon Island State Park and walk the Osprey Trail. Ospreys by the dozens, Black Vultures, Great Horned Owls, and usually a Bald Eagle. There's an Eagle nest near the end of the trail within easy viewing distance if the birds cooperate.

Oh yea... and all those pipers and plovers I annoy everyone with questions about since I can't tell one from another...

It would be well worth the drive over from Orlando. Just remember which side of the road to drive on...

Thanks for that rpharvey. Honeymoon Island State Park sounds like a great day out for me if I can slip away from the family. Great Horned owl is another species I would love to get a look at too.Cheers, Mark

I'm too late, but Shadow Bay park usually has a breeding pair and offspring each year on one of the main power pylons near the car park. It used to be an Osprey nest but the Bald Eagles took it over and the Ospreys moved two pylons away on the other side of a small lake. This park is a hidden gem, very close to Universal Studios.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back